Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Sherman is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Life Course Development Program. Trained in developmental psychology and family social science, Sherman’s research examines the role of social relations and health-related support on older adults’ health and well-being. Sherman’s specific studies focus on family caregiving, caregiver interventions, and later life remarriage and stepfamily dynamics. Dr. Sherman serves as training and evaluation consultant for Michigan’s state-wide implementation of Savvy Caregiver Program (SCP), an evidence-based dementia family caregiver intervention. She is currently collaborating with UM colleagues to adapt SCP-like interventions for caregivers of patients with liver disease and for persons with mild cognitive impairment. In addition, Dr. Sherman is directing a new study, funded by the national Alzheimer’s Association, to develop an intervention specifically for remarried (“second marriage”) spouse caregivers.
- Birditt,Kira S.; Sherman,Carey W.; Polenick,Courtney A.,Becker,Lucia; Webster,Noah J.; Ajrouch,Kristine J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2018). So Close and Yet so Irritating: Negative Relations and Implications for Well-being by Age and Closeness. Journals of Gerontology, Series B.
- Carlozzi,Noelle E.; Sherman,Carey W.; Angers,Kaley; Belanger,Mitchell P.; Austin,Amy M. and Ryan,Kelly A. (2017). Caring for an Individual with Mild Cognitive Impairment: A Qualitative Perspective of Health-Related Quality of Life from Caregivers. Aging & Mental Health.
- Sherman,Carey W. and Steiner,Sally C. (2016). Implementing Sustainable Evidence-Based Interventions in the Community: A Fidelity-Focused Training Framework for the Savvy Caregiver Program. Journal of Applied Gerontology.
- Sherman,Carey W.; Wan,Wylie H. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2015). Social Convoy Model. The Encyclopedia of Adulthood and Aging. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.:Hoboken, NJ.
- Vaughn-Sandler,Valerie; Sherman,Carey W.; Aronsohn,Andrew and Volk,Michael L. (2014). Consequences of Perceived Stigma among Patients with Cirrhosis. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 59(3), 681-686.
- Sherman,Carey W.; Webster,Noah J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2013). Dementia Caregiving in the Context of Late-Life Remarriage: Support Networks, Relationship Quality, and Well-being. Journal of Marriage and Family, 75(5), 1149-1163.
- Sherman,Carey W. (2012). Remarriage as Context for Dementia Caregiving: Implications of Positive Support and Negative Interactions for Caregiver Well-being. Research in Human Development, 9(2), 165-182.
- Antonucci,Toni C.; Birditt,Kira S.; Sherman,Carey W. and Trinh,Sarah (2011). Stability and Change in the Intergenerational Family: A Convoy Approach. Ageing & Society, 31(7), 1084-1106.
- Sherman,Carey W. and Bauer,J. (2008). Financial Conflicts Facing Late-Life Remarried Alzheimer’s Disease Caregivers*. Family Relations, 57(4), 492-503.
- Sherman,Carey W.; Rosenblatt,D. E. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2008). . Indian Journal of Gerentology, 22(3&4), 319-339.