Research Assistant Professor, Survey Research Center
Fabian T. Pfeffer received his Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 2010. His main research interests are the comparative study of social inequality and its maintenance across time and generations. His work focuses on the institutional context of social mobility processes and educational inequality in the United States and other industrialized countries. Recent projects have investigated the change in wealth inequality during the Great Recession, the relationship between parents’ wealth and their children’s educational and occupational outcomes (compared both across time and countries), the transmission of inequality across multiple generations in the United States, the role of education in intergenerational social class mobility, international comparisons of educational inequalities, and inequalities in U.S. higher education.
- Family Dynamics, Fertility, and Investments in Children Across Generations
- Health, Wealth, and Time Use Over the Life Course and Across Generations
- How Accessible is the Top? The Changing Rigidity of High Incomes and Earnings
- How Rigid is the Wealth Structure and Why? Intergenerational Correlations in Family Wealth and their Sources.
- Linking 1940 U.S. Census Data for Five Modern Surveys on Health and Aging
- PSID, CDS, and TA: Data Enhancements and User Training, Support, and Outreach
- Transition to Adulthood within its Life Course & Intergenerational Family Context
- Pfeffer,Fabian T.; Schoeni,Robert F.; Kennickell,Arthur and Andreski,Patricia (2016). Measuring Wealth and Wealth Inequality: Comparing Two US Surveys. Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, 41(2), 103-120.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. (2015). Equality and Quality in Education. A Comparative Study of 19 Countries. Social Science Research, 51, 350-368.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. and Hertel,Florian R. (2015). How has Educational Expansion Shaped Social Mobility Trends in the United States?. Social Forces, 94(1), 143-180.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. (2014). Multigenerational Approaches to Social Mobility. A Multifaceted Research Agenda. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 35, 1-12. Inequality Across Multiple Generations.
- Brand,J. E.; Pfeffer,Fabian T. and Goldrick-Rab,S. (2014). The Community College Effect Revisited: The Importance of Attending to Heterogeneity and Complex Counterfactuals. Sociological Science, 1, 448-465.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T.; Danziger,Sheldon H. and Schoeni,Robert F. (2013). Wealth Disparities before and After the Great Recession. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 650, 98-123.
- Falk,E. B.; Hyde,L. W.; Mitchell,Colter M.; Faul,Jessica D.; Gonzalez,R.; Heitzeg,M. M.; Keating,Daniel P.; Langa,Kenneth M.; Martz,M. E.; Maslowsky,J.; Morrison,F. J.; Noll,D. C.; Patrick,Megan E.; Pfeffer,Fabian T.; Reuter-Lorenz,P. A.; Thomason,M. E.; (2013). What is a Representative Brain? Neuroscience Meets Population Science. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(44), 17615-17622.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. (2011). . In Smeeding,Timothy; Erikson,Robert and Jantti,Markus (Ed.), Persistance, Privilege and Parenting. the Comparative Study of Intergenerational Mobility. Russell Sage:New York.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. and Goldrick-Rab,Sara (2009). Beyond Access: Explaining Socioeconomic Differences in College Transfer. Sociology of Education, 82(2), 101-125.
- Pfeffer,Fabian T. (2008). Persistent Inequality in Educational Attainment and its Institutional Context. European Sociological Review, 24(5), 543-565.