Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, Research Professor, Gerald R Ford School of Public Policy and Research Professor, Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health
Dr. Levy’s research interests include the causes and consequences of lacking health insurance, evaluation of public health insurance programs,and the role of health literacy in explaining disparities in health outcomes. She is a co-Investigator on the Health and Retirement Study, a long-running longitudinal study of health and economic dynamics at older ages. She is currently the recipient of a Career Development Award (K01) from the National Institute on Aging to study health literacy and health disparities among the elderly.
- Mahmoudi,E. and Levy,Helen G. (2016). How did Medicare Part D Affect Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Drug Coverage?. The Journals of Gerontology.Series B, Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 71(3), 581-589.
- Buchmueller,Thomas C.; Levinson,Zachary M.; Levy,Helen G. and Wolfe,Barbara L. (2016). Effect of the Affordable Care Act on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Insurance Coverage. Am J Public Health, 106(8), 1416-1421.
- Nikpay,Sayeh; Buchmueller,Thomas and Levy,Helen G. (2016). Affordable Care Act Medicaid Expansion Reduced Uninsured Hospital Stays in 2014. Health Affairs, 35(1), 106-110.
- Levy,Helen G. and Janke,Alex (2016). Health Literacy and Access to Care. Journal of Health Communication, 21(Suppl 1), 43-50.
- Nikpay,S.; Buchmueller,T. and Levy,Helen G. (2015). Early Medicaid Expansion in Connecticut Stemmed the Growth in Hospital Uncompensated Care. Health Affairs, 34(7), 1170-1179.
- Leininger,Lindsey and Levy,Helen G. (2015). Child Health and Access to Medical Care. Future of Children, 25(1), 65-90.
- Hirth,Richard A.; Gibson,Teresa B.; Levy,Helen G.; Smith,Jeffrey A.; CalÃƒÂ³nico,Sebastian and Das,Anup (2015). New Evidence on the Persistence of Health Spending. Medical Care Research and Review, 72(3), 277-297.
- Baicker,K. and Levy,Helen G. (2015). How Narrow a Network is Too Narrow?. JAMA Internal Medicine, 175(3), 337-338.
- Baicker,K. and Levy,Helen G. (2015). Cost Sharing as a Tool to Drive Higher-Value Care. JAMA Internal Medicine, 175(3), 399-400.
- Levy,Helen G.; Janke,A. T. and Langa,Kenneth M. (2015). Health Literacy and the Digital Divide among Older Americans. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 30(3), 284-289.
- Levy,Helen G. (2015). Assessing the Need for a New Household Panel Study: Health Insurance and Health Care. Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, 40(1-4), 341-356.
- Levy,Helen G. (2015). Income, Poverty, and Material Hardship among Older Americans. RSF: The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences, 1(1), 55-77.
- Bagley,Nicholas and Levy,Helen G. (2014). Essential Health Benefits and the Affordable Care Act: Law and Process. Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law, 39(2), 441-465.
- Baicker,Katherine and Levy,Helen G. (2013). Coordination Versus Competition in Health Care Reform. N Engl J Med, 369(9), 789-791.
- Levy,Helen G.; Ubel,Peter,A.; Dillard,A. J.; Weir,David R. and Fagerlin,A. (2013). Health Numeracy: The Importance of Domain in Assessing Numeracy. Medical Decision Making, 34(1), 107-115.
- Buchmueller,Thomas; Carey,Colleen and Levy,Helen G. (2013). Will Employers Drop Health Insurance Coverage because of the Affordable Care Act?. Health Affairs, 32(9), 1522-1530.
- Baicker,Katherine and Levy,Helen G. (2012). The Insurance Value of Medicare. New England Journal of Medicine, 367(19), 1773-1775.
- Levy,Helen G. (2012). Health Reform: Learning from Massachusetts. Inquiry, 49(4), 300-302.
- Leininger,Lindsey; Levy,Helen G. and Schanzenbach,Diane (2010). Consequences of SCHIP Expansions for Household Well-being. Forum for Health Economics & Policy, 13(1).
- Levy,Helen G. and Weir,David R. (2010). Take-Up of Medicare Part D: Results from the Health and Retirement Study. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 65(4), 492-501.
- McLaughlin,C.; Levy,Helen G. and Quinn,B. (2009). Aspects of Health Reform: Introduction. Inquiry - Excellus Health Plan, 46(2), 182-186.
- Gruber,J. and Levy,Helen G. (2009). The Evolution of Medical Spending Risk. The Journal of Economic Perspectives, 23(4), 25-48.
- Baicker,Katherine and Levy,Helen G. (2008). Employer Health Insurance Mandates and the Risk of Unemployment. Risk Management & Insurance Review, 11(1), 109-132.
- Levy,Helen G. and DeLeire,Thomas (2008). What do People Buy when they Don’t Buy Health Insurance and what does that Say about Why they are Uninsured?. Inquiry, 45(4), 365-379.
- Levy,Helen G. and Meltzer,David (2008). The Impact of Health Insurance on Health. Annual Review of Public Health, 29, 399-409.
- Levy,Helen G. (2007). . 159. In Madrian,Brigitte C.; Mitchell,Olivia S. and Soldo,Beth J. (Ed.), Redefining Retirement : How Will Boomers Fare?. Oxford University Press:Oxford ; New York.
- Levy,Helen G. (2007). . 84. In Danziger,Sheldon H. and Rouse,Cecilia E. (Ed.), The Price of Independence : The Economics of Early Adulthood. Russell Sage Foundation:New York.
- Levy,Helen G. (2007). Health, Education and Welfare.(Book Reviews). Journal of Economic Literature, 45(3), 760(2).