Faculty Research Fellow, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Xu’s substantive research interests include social demography, health inequalities, epidemiologic and nutrition transitions, child well-being, and residential segregation. His methodological research interests include Bayesian inference, spatial statistics, longitudinal and multilevel analysis, and survival analysis.
- Xu,Hongwei; Zhang,Zhenmei; Li,Lydia and Liu,Jinyu (2018). Early Life Exposure to China’s 1959-61 Famine and Midlife Cognition. International Journal of Epidemiology, 47(1), 109-120.
- Xu,Hongwei and Xie,Yu (2017). Socioeconomic Inequalities in Health in China: A Reassessment with Data from the 2010-2012 China Family Panel Studies. Social Indicators Research, 132(1), 219-239.
- Zhang,Zhenmei; Liu,Jinyu; Li,Lydia and Xu,Hongwei (2017). The Long Arm of Childhood in China: Early-Life Conditions and Cognitive Function among Middle-Aged and Older Adults. Journal of Aging and Health.
- Li,Lydia W.; Liu,Jinyu; Xu,Hongwei and Zhang,Zhenmei (2016). Understanding Rural-Urban Differences in Depressive Symptoms among Older Adults in China. Journal of Aging and Health, 28(2), 341-362.
- Li,Lydia W.; Xu,Hongwei; Zhang,Zhenmei and Liu,Jinyu (2016). An Ecological Study of Social Fragmentation, Socioeconomic Deprivation, and Suicide in Rural China: 2008–2010. SSM - Population Health, 2, 365-372.
- Xu,Hongwei; Li,Lydia; Zhang,Zhenmei and Liu,Jinyu (2016). Is Natural Experiment a Cure? Re-Examining the Long-Term Health Effects of China’s 1959-1961 Famine. Social Science & Medicine, 148, 110-122.
- Xu,Hongwei and Xie,Yu (2016). Assessing the Effectiveness of Anchoring Vignettes in Bias Reduction for Socioeconomic Disparities in Self-Rated Health among Chinese Adults. Sociological Methodology, 46(1), 84-120.
- Liu,Jinyu; Li,Lydia; Zhang,Zhenmei and Xu,Hongwei (2016). Associations between Physical Health and Depressive Symptoms in Chinese Older Adults: Do Neighborhood Resources Matter?. SSM - Population Health, 2, 531-535.
- Xu,Hongwei (2016). Developmental Idealism, Body Weight and Shape, and Marriage Entry in Transitional China. Chinese Journal of Sociology, 2(2), 235-258.
- Xu,Hongwei; Liu,Airan and Zhang,Yueyun (2015). Inequality in children’s Well-being and Development: Evidence from a National Panel Study. Chinese Journal of Sociology, 1(1), 88-107.
- Xu,Hongwei and Xie,Yu (2015). The Causal Effects of Rural-to-Urban Migration on Children’s Well-being in China. European Sociological Review, 31(4), 502-519.
- Li,Lydia W.; Liu,Jinyu; Zhang,Zhenmei and Xu,Hongwei (2015). Late-Life Depression in Rural China: Do Village Infrastructure and Availability of Community Resources Matter?. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 30(7), 729-736.
- Huang,Guoying; Xie,Yu and Xu,Hongwei (2015). Cognitive Ability: Social Correlates and Consequences in Contemporary China. Chinese Sociological Review, 47(4), 287-313.
- Xu,Hongwei; Logan,J. R. and Short,S. E. (2014). Integrating Space with Place in Health Research: A Multilevel Spatial Investigation using Child Mortality in 1880 Newark, New Jersey. Demography, 51(3), 811-834.
- Xu,Hongwei (2014). Comparing Spatial and Multilevel Regression Models for Binary Outcomes in Neighborhood Studies. Sociological Methodology, 44(1), 229-272.
- Luke,Nancy; Xu,Hongwei and Thampi,Binitha V. (2014). Husbands’ Participation in Housework and Child Care in India. Journal of Marriage and Family, 76(3), 620-637.
- Xu,Hongwei; Mberu,Blessing U.; Goldberg,Rachel E. and Luke,Nancy (2013). Dimensions of Rural-to-Urban Migration and Premarital Pregnancy in Kenya. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 648(1), 104-119.
- Short,Susan E.; Xu,Hongwei and Liu,Ying (2013). . In Kaufman,Eric and Wilcox,Bradford (Ed.), Whither the Child?: Causes and Consequences of Low Fertility. Paradigm Press:New York.
- Xu,Hongwei; Short,Susan,E.; Short,S. E. and Liu,T. (2013). Dynamic Relations between Fast-Food Restaurant and Body Weight Status: A Longitudinal and Multilevel Analysis of Chinese Adults. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, 67(3), 271-279.
- Luke,Nancy; Xu,Hongwei; Mberu,Blessing U. and Goldberg,Rachel E. (2012). Migration Experience and Premarital Sexual Initiation in Urban Kenya: An Event History Analysis. Studies in Family Planning, 43(2), 115-126.
- Xu,Hongwei and Short,Susan E. (2011). Health Insurance Coverage Rates in 9 Provinces in China Doubled from 1997 to 2006, with A Dramatic Rural Upswing. Health Affairs, 30(12), 2419-2426.
- Luke,Nancy and Xu,Hongwei (2011). Exploring the Meaning of Context for Health: Community Influences on Child Health in South India. Demographic Research, 24, 345-374.
- Logan,John; Spielman,Seth; Xu,Hongwei and Klein,Philip (2011). Identifying and Bounding Ethnic Neighborhoods. Urban Geography, 32(3), 334-359.
- Xu,Hongwei; Luke,Nancy and Msiyaphazi Zulu,Eliya (2010). Concurrent Sexual Partnerships among Youth in Urban Kenya: Prevalence and Partnership Effects. Population Studies, 64(3), 247-261. Population Studies.
- Logan,John; Zhang,Weiwei and Xu,Hongwei (2010). Applying Spatial Thinking in Social Science Research. Geojournal, 75(1), 15-27.
- Xu,Hongwei and Minca,Elisabeta (2008). . 299-336. In Murdock,Steve H. and Swanson,David A. (Ed.), Applied Demography in the 21st Century. Springer:New York.