Barger Leadership Institute Professor, Director, Barger Leadership Institute, Professor of Sociology, Professor of Organizational Studies, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Professor of Public Policy, Gerald R Ford School of Public Policy
Jason Owen-Smith is a sociologist who examines how science, commerce, and the law cohere and conflict in contemporary societies and economies. Together with collaborators, Jason works on projects that examine the dynamics of high-technology industries, the public value of the research university, and the network organization of surgical care. He seeks to understand how organizations, institutions, and networks can maintain the status quo while generating novelty through social transformations, scientific discoveries, and technological breakthroughs. Jason’s work makes use of large-scale administrative data to study fundamental process of network change and their effects in policy relevant domains.
Professor Owen-Smith is Executive Director of the Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS) and Director of the Barger Leadership Institute at the University of Michigan where he also holds the Barger Leadership Institute Professorship in Organizational Studies. He is Professor of Sociology and (by courtesy) Public Policy. In the Institute for Social Research (ISR) he is a Research Professor in the Survey Research Center where he directs a program called Innovation Networks and Knowledge (INK) that houses IRIS and an ongoing research project about physician networks and surgical care outcomes. He received his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Sociology at the University of Arizona and a B.A. in Sociology and Philosophy from the New College of Florida.
- Collaborative Research: New Insights into STEM Pathways: The Role of Peers, Networks, and Demand
- Collaborative Research: STEM Training, Employment in Industry, and Entrepreneurship
- Collaborative Research: STEM Training, Employment in Industry, and Entrepreneurship Supplement
- Developing and Supporting the IRIS Research Community
- Empirical Assessment of Respondent Driven Sampling from Total Survey Error Perspectives
- Institute for Research on Innovation and Science (IRIS)
- IRIS Membership–Michigan State University
- IRIS Membership–New York University
- IRIS Membership–Stony Brook University
- IRIS Membership–University of Kansas
- Medical Decision-Making and Network Assembly Mechanisms in Inpatient Surgical Care
- Pathways to Science and Engineering Professions: Persistence and career choice for bachelors and masters graduates’ research experiences, decision points and labor market transitions
- To develop and test privacy-protection techniques that enable researchers to collect and analyze sensitive data
- Everson,Jordan; Funk,Russell J.; Kaufman,Samuel R.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Nallamothu,Brahmajee K.; Pagani,Francis D. and Hollingsworth,John M. (2018). Repeated, Close Physician Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Teams Associated with Greater Teamwork. Health Services Research, 53(2), 1025-1041.
- Ghomrawi,Hassan M. K.; Funk,Russell J.; Parks,Michael L.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Hollingsworth,John M. (2018). Physician Referral Patterns and Racial Disparities in Total Hip Replacement: A Network Analysis Approach. Plos One, 13(2), e0193014.
- Funk,Russell J.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Landon,Bruce E.; Birkmeyer,John D. and Hollingsworth,John M. (2017). Identifying Natural Alignments between Ambulatory Surgery Centers and Local Health Systems: Building Broader Communities of Surgical Care. Medical Care, 55(2), e9-e15.
- Funk,R. J.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Kaufman,S. A.; Nallamothu,B. K. and Hollingsworth,J. M. (2017). Association of Informal Clinical Integration of Physicians with Cardiac Surgery Payments. JAMA Surgery.
- Sattari,Reza; Lane,Julia I. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2017). New Insights into Food Safety Research Teams. 113-127. In Husbands Fealing,Kaye; Lane,Julia I.; King,John L. and Johnson,Stanley R. (Ed.), Measuring the Economic Value of Research: The Case of Food Safety. Cambridge University Press:Cambridge.
- Funk,Russell and Owen-Smith,Jason (2016). A Dynamic Network Measure of Technological Change. Management Science, 63(3), 791-817.
- Hollingsworth,John M.; Funk,Russell; Luckenbaugh,Amy; Owen-Smith,Jason; Kaufman,Samuel and Nallamothu,Brahmajee (2016). Clinical Integration is Associated with Lower Costs of Care among Patients Undergoing Prostatectomy. The Journal of Urology, 195(4, Supplement), e591. 2016 Annual Meeting Program AbstractsAUA Annual Meeting.
- Hollingsworth,John M.; Funk,Russell J.; Garrison,Spencer A.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Kaufman,Samuel A.; Pagani,Francis D. and Nallamothu,Brahmajee K. (2016). Association between Physician Teamwork and Health System Outcomes After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 9(6), 641-648.
- Owen-Smith,Jason; Cotton-Nessler,Natalie C. and Buhr,Helena (2015). Network Effects on Organizational Decision-Making: Blended Social Mechanisms and IPO Withdrawal. Social Networks, 41, 1-17.
- Hollingsworth,John M.; Funk,Russell J.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Landon,Bruce E.; Hollenbeck,Brent K. and Birkmeyer,John D. (2015). Assessing the Reach of Health Reform to Outpatient Surgery with Social Network Analysis. Annals of Surgery, 261(3), 468-472.
- Hollingsworth,J. M.; Funk,R. J.; Garrison,S. A.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Kaufman,S. R.; Landon,B. E. and Birkmeyer,J. D. (2015). Differences between Physician Social Networks for Cardiac Surgery Serving Communities with High Versus Low Proportions of Black Residents. Medical Care, 53(2), 160-167.
- Lane,Julia I.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Rosen,Rebecca F. and Weinberg,Bruce A. (2015). New Linked Data on Research Investments: Scientific Workforce, Productivity, and Public Value. Research Policy, 44(9), 1659-1671. The New Data Frontier.
- Kabo,Felichism W.; Hwang,Yongha; Levenstein,Margaret C. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2015). Shared Paths to the Lab: A Sociospatial Network Analysis of Collaboration. Environment and Behavior, 47(1), 57-84.
- Zolas,Nikolas; Goldschlag,Nathan; Jarmin,Ron; Stephan,Paula; Owen-Smith,Jason; Rosen,Rebecca F.; Allen,Barbara M.; Weinberg,Bruce A. and Lane,Julia I. (2015). Wrapping it Up in a Person: Examining Employment and Earnings Outcomes for Ph.D. Recipients. Science, 350(6266), 1367-1371.
- Hollingsworth,John M.; Funk,Russell J.; Garrison,Spencer A.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Kaufman,Samuel R.; Landon,Bruce E.; Montie,James E. and Nallamothu,Brahmajee K. (2015). MP5-19 the Impact of Care Coordination on Radical Prostatectomy Outcomes. The Journal of Urology, 193(4, Supplement), e52-e53. 2015 Annual Meeting Program Abstracts AUA Annual Meeting.
- Kabo,Felichism W.; Cotton-Nessler,Natalie; Hwang,Yongha; Levenstein,Margaret C. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2014). Proximity Effects on the Dynamics and Outcomes of Scientific Collaborations. Research Policy, 43(9), 1469-1485.
- Weinberg,B. A.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Rosen,R. F.; Schwarz,L.; Allen,B. M.; Weiss,R. E. and Lane,J. (2014). Science Funding and Short-Term Economic Activity. Science, 344(6179), 41-43.
- Wineman,Jean; Hwang,Yongha; Kabo,Felichism W.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Davis,Gerald F. (2014). Spatial Layout, Social Structure, and Innovation in Organizations. Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 41(6), 1100-1112.
- Owen-Smith,Jason; Scott,C. T. and McCormick,J. B. (2012). Expand and Regularize Federal Funding for Human Pluripotent Stem Cell Research. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management : [the Journal of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management], 31(3), 714-722.
- Owen-Smith,Jason; Scott,C. T. and McCormick,J. B. (2012). Democracy is Working. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(3), 726-728.
- DeRouen,M. C.; McCormick,J. B.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Scott,C. T. (2012). The Race is on: Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research Goes Global. Stem Cell Reviews, 8(4), 1043-1047.
- Owen-Smith,Jason (2012). . 239-276. In Johnstone,B. D. and Lane,J. E. (Ed.), Colleges and Universities as Economic Drivers. SUNY Press:New York.
- Powell,Walter W. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2012). . 466-495. In Padgett,J. and Powell,Walter W. (Ed.), The Emergence of Organizations and Markets. Princeton University Press:Princeton.
- Owen-Smith,Jason (2011). The Institutionalization of Expertise in University Licensing. Theory and Society, 40(1), 63-94.
- Scott,C. T.; McCormick,J. B.; DeRouen,M. C. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2011). Democracy Derived? New Trajectories in Pluripotent Stem Cell Research. Cell, 145(6), 820-826.
- Powell,Walter W.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Smith-Doerr,Laurel (2011). . 56-84. In Fealing,K. H.; Lane,J.; Marburger,J. H.; Shipp,S. and Valdez,B. (Ed.), The Handbook of the Science of Science Policy. Stanford University Press:Stanford.
- Scott,C. T.; McCormick,J. B.; Derouen,M. C. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2010). Federal Policy and the use of Pluripotent Stem Cells. Nature Methods, 7(11), 866-867.
- McCormick,J. B.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Scott,C. T. (2009). Distribution of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Lines: Who, when, and Where. Cell Stem Cell, 4(2), 107-110.
- Whittington,Kjersten B.; Owen-Smith,Jason and Powell,Walter W. (2009). Networks, Propinquity, and Innovation in Knowledge-Intensive Industries. Administrative Science Quarterly, 54(1), 90-122.
- Scott,C. T.; McCormick,J. B. and Owen-Smith,Jason (2009). And then there were Two: Use of hESC Lines. Nature Biotechnology, 27(8), 696-697.
- Caulfield,T.; Zarzeczny,A.; McCormick,J.; Bubela,T.; Critchley,C.; Einsiedel,E.; Galipeau,J.; Harmon,S.; Huynh,M.; Hyun,I.; Illes,J.; Isasi,R.; Joly,Y.; Laurie,G.; Lomax,G.; Longstaff,H.; McDonald,M.; Murdoch,C.; Ogbogu,U.; Owen-Smith,Jason; Pattinson,S.; Premji,S.; von Tigerstrom,B. and Winickoff,D. E. (2009). The Stem Cell Research Environment: A Patchwork of Patchworks. Stem Cell Reviews, 5(2), 82-88.