Research Professor, Population Studies Center and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Sastry’s research interests center on studying the social and spatial dimensions of health, development, and well-being of children and adolescents, both in the United States and in less developed countries.
- McGonagle,Katherine A. and Sastry,Narayan (2016). Using the Panel Study of Income Dynamics to Analyze Housing Decisions, Dynamics, and Effects. Cityscape (Washington, DC), 18(1), 185-199.
- Bzostek,Sharon; Sastry,Narayan; Goldman,Noreen; Pebley,Anne and Duffy,Denise (2016). Using Vignettes to Rethink Latino-White Disparities in Self-Rated Health. Social Science & Medicine, 149, 46-65.
- McGonagle,Katherine A. and Sastry,Narayan (2015). Cohort Profile: The Panel Study of Income Dynamics’ Child Development Supplement and Transition into Adulthood Study. International Journal of Epidemiology, 44(2), 415-422.
- Sastry,Narayan (2015). Stressful Life Experiences and Contexts: The Effects on Parents and Parenting. (Chpt 8), 105-111. Families in an Era of Increasing Inequality. Springer International Publishing:Switzerland.
- DeCamp,Lisa R.; Choi,Hwajung; Fuentes-Afflick,Elena and Sastry,Narayan (2015). Immigrant Latino Neighborhoods and Mortality among Infants Born to Mexican-Origin Latina Women. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 19(6), 1354-1363.
- Sastry,Narayan and Gregory,J. (2014). The Location of Displaced New Orleans Residents in the Year After Hurricane Katrina. Demography, 51(3), 753-775.
- Clarke,Philippa J.; Sastry,Narayan; Duffy,D. and Ailshire,J. (2014). Accuracy of Self-Reported Versus Measured Weight Over Adolescence and Young Adulthood: Findings from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, 1996-2008. American Journal of Epidemiology, 180(2), 153-159.
- Sastry,Narayan and Gregory,Jesse (2013). The Effect of Hurricane Katrina on the Prevalence of Health Impairments and Disability among Adults in New Orleans: Differences by Age, Race, and Sex. Social Science & Medicine, 80(March), 121-129.
- McGonagle,Katherine A.; Schoeni,Robert F.; Sastry,Narayan and Freedman,Vicki A. (2012). The Panel Study of Income Dynamics: Overview, Recent Innovations, and Potential for Life Course Research. Longitudinal and Life Course Studies, 3(2), 268.
- Sastry,Narayan (2012). . 423-477. In Maholmes,Valerie and King,Rosalind, B. (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Poverty and Child Development. Oxford University Press:Oxford.
- Sastry,Narayan and Burgard,Sarah (2011). Changes in Diarrheal Disease and Treatment among Brazilian Children from 1986 to 1996. Population Research and Policy Review, 30(1), 81-100.
- Jones,M.; Pebley,A. R. and Sastry,Narayan (2011). Eyes on the Block: Measuring Urban Physical Disorder through in-Person Observation. Social Science Research, 40(2), 523-537.
- Sastry,Narayan and Pebley,A. R. (2010). Family and Neighborhood Sources of Socioeconomic Inequality in Children’s Achievement. Demography, 47(3), 777-800.
- Fussell,Elizabeth; Sastry,Narayan and VanLandingham,Mark (2010). Race, Socioeconomic Status, and Return Migration to New Orleans After Hurricane Katrina. Population & Environment, 31(1), 20-42.
- Sastry,Narayan; McGonagle,Katherine A. and Schoeni,Robert F. (2009). Introduction to the Special Issue on the Scientific Assessment of Biomeasures in the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Biodemography and Social Biology, 55(2), 113-117.
- Sastry,Narayan and VanLandingham,Mark (2009). One Year Later: Mental Illness Prevalence and Disparities among New Orleans Residents Displaced by Hurricane Katrina. American Journal of Public Health, 99(S3), S725-731.
- Sastry,Narayan (2009). Tracing the Effects of Hurricane Katrina on the Population of New Orleans: The Displaced New Orleans Residents Pilot Study. Sociological Methods & Research, 38(1), 171-196.
- Sastry,Narayan (2009). Displaced New Orleans Residents in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina: Results from a Pilot Survey. Organization & Environment, 22(4), 395-409.
- Pebley,Anne R. and Sastry,Narayan (2008). . 360. In Grusky,David B. (Ed.), Social Stratification : Class, Race, and Gender in Sociological Perspective. Westview Press:Boulder, Colo.
- Weathers,A.; Novak,S.; Sastry,Narayan and Norton,E. (2008). Parental Nativity is an Important Factor Associated with Where Children Usually Go for Health Care. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 12(4), 499-508.
- Weathers,A.; Novak,S.; Sastry,Narayan and Norton,E. (2008). Parental Nativity Affects Children’s Health and Access to Care. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 10(2), 155-165.
- Sastry,Narayan (2007). . 166. In Dey,Dalia (Ed.), Child Health : Issues and Country Experiences. Icfai University Press:Hyderabad, India.
- Pebley,Anne R. and Sastry,Narayan (2007). . 165-178, 165-178. In Grusky,David B. and SzelÃ©nyi,Szonja (Ed.), The Inequality Reader : Contemporary and Foundational Readings in Race, Class, and Gender. Westview Press:Boulder, Colo..