Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Noah J. Webster, Ph.D. is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Life Course Development Program at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. Dr. Webster’s research focuses on the interrelated themes of: 1) the bidirectional influences of health, health-related behaviors and social relationships; and 2) the role of environmental and social contexts in shaping health disparities across the life course. He has a Ph.D. in Sociology from Case Western Reserve University with specializations in Medical Sociology and Research Methods. Dr. Webster is co-investigator on a number of ongoing sponsored research projects including, the longitudinal study of Social Relations, Aging and Health funded by the National Institute on Aging; a study of Humility and Forgiveness: The Role of Social Relations among Three Ethnic Groups funded by the Templeton Foundation; and a multidisciplinary study to assess the impact of green infrastructure in Detroit funded by the University of Michigan Water Center through a grant from the Erb Family Foundation. He was co-investigator, collaborating with Drs. Antonucci and Kahn on a recently completed McArthur Foundation funded experimental field study to examine the impact of a multifaceted intervention in affordable senior housing communities. Dr. Webster also is Assistant Director of the Society 2030 Consortium, a program that brings together university and industry representatives to identify the key social and economic trends that will shape the future, and to develop a “roadmap” to guide planning and policy, as well as further research.
- Ajrouch,Kristine J.; Antonucci,Toni C. and Webster,Noah J. (2016). Volunteerism: Social Network Dynamics and Education. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 71(2), 309-319.
- Medvene,Louis J.; Nilsen,Kari M.; Smith,Rachel; Ofei-Dodoo,Samuel; DiLollo,Anthony; Webster,Noah J.; Graham,Annette and Nance,Anita (2016). Social Networks and Links to Isolation and Loneliness among Elderly HCBS Clients. Aging & Mental Health, 20(5), 485-493.
- Lee,Sunghee; McClain,Colleen; Webster,Noah J. and Han,Saram (2016). Question Order Sensitivity of Subjective Well-being Measures: Focus on Life Satisfaction, Self-Rated Health, and Subjective Life Expectancy in Survey Instruments. Quality of Life Research.
- Fuller-Iglesias,Heather; Webster,Noah J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2015). The Complex Nature of Family Support Across the Life Span: Implications for Psychological Well-being. Developmental Psychology, 51(3), 277-288.
- Webster,Noah J.; Antonucci,Toni C.; Yoon,Carolyn; McCullough,Wayne R.; Fin,Debra N. and Hartsell,Debra L. (2014). . The Interdisciplinary Science of Consumption, 281-296. In Preston,Stephanie D.; Kringelbach,Morten L.; Knutsonp,Brian and Whybrow,Peter C. (Ed.), The Interdisciplinary Science of Consumption. MIT Press:Cambridge, MA.
- Webster,Noah J.; Antonucci,Toni C.; Ajrouch,Kristine J. and Abdulrahim,Sawsan (2014). Social Networks and Health among Older Adults in Lebanon: The Mediating Role of Support and Trust. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 70(1), 155-166.
- Antonucci,Toni C. and Webster,Noah J. (2014). Rethinking Cells to Society. Research in Human Development, 11(4), 309-322.
- Webster,Noah J.; Ajrouch,Kristine J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2013). . Generations, 37(4), 28-32.
- Sherman,Carey W.; Webster,Noah J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2013). Dementia Caregiving in the Context of Late-Life Remarriage: Support Networks, Relationship Quality, and Well-being. Journal of Marriage and Family, 75(5), 1149-1163.
- Fuller-Iglesias,Heather; Webster,Noah J. and Antonucci,Toni C. (2013). Adult Family Relationships in the Context of Friendship. Research in Human Development, 10(2), 184-203.
- Antonucci,Toni C.; Ashton-Miller,James A.; Brant,Jennifer; Falk,Emily B.; Halter,Jeffrey B.; Hamdemir,Levent; Konrath,Sara H.; Lee,Joyce M.; McCullough,Wayne R.; Persad,Carol C.; Seydel,Roland; Smith,Jacqui and Webster,Noah J. (2012). The Right to Move: A Multidisciplinary Lifespan Conceptual Framework. Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, 2012, 873937.
- Webster,Noah J. (2011). Medicare Knowledge and Health Service Utilization among Older Adults. Access to Care and Factors that Impact Access, Patients as Partners in Care and Changing Roles of Health Providers, 29, 273-297. In Kronenfeld,Jennie J. (Ed.), Access to Care and Factors that Impact Access, Patients as Partners in Care and Changing Roles of Health Providers. Emerald Group Publishing Limited:Bingley,UK.
- Koumans,EmiliaH; Lane,SandraD; Aubry,Richard; DeMott,Kathleen; Webster,Noah J.; Levandowski,BrookeA; Berman,Stuart and Markowitz,LauriE (2011). Evaluation of Syracuse Healthy Start’s Program for Abnormal Flora Management to Reduce Preterm Birth among Pregnant Women. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 15(7), 1020-1028.
- Wiest,Maja; SchÃ¼z,Benjamin; Webster,Noah J. and Wurm,Susanne (2011). Subjective Well-being and Mortality Revisited: Differential Effects of Cognitive and Emotional Facets of Well-being on Mortality. Health Psychology, 30(6), 728-735.
- Webster,Noah J.; Crawford,Peggy and Thomas,Farrah M. (2011). Who’s Behind the Wheel? Driving with Medically Intractable Epilepsy. American Journal of Health Behavior, 35(4), 485-495.
- Perzynski,Adam T.; Mccormick,Richard; Webster,Noah J.; Blixen,Carol E.; Kanuch,Stephanie; Thomas,Charles L.; Mullen,Kevin D. and Dawson,Neal V. (2011). Psychosocial Correlates of Alcohol use and Reduction for Individuals with Hepatitis C. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 72(5), 787-798.
- Eron,Nancy B.; Dygert,Karen M.; Squillace,Cynthia; Webster,Noah J.; Andrianos,Anne; Crockett,Elizabeth G. and Consenstein,Larry (2011). The Physician’s Role in Reducing SIDS. Health Promotion Practice, 12(3), 370-378.
- Webster,Noah J. (2010). Medicare and Racial Disparities in Health: Fee-for-Service Versus Managed Care. The Impact of Demographics on Health and Health Care: Race, Ethnicity and Other Social Factors, 28, 47-70. In Kronenfeld,Jennie J. (Ed.), The Impact of Demographics on Health and Health Care: Race, Ethnicity and Other Social Factors. Emerald Group Publishing Limited:Bingley, UK.
- Antonucci,Toni C.; Birditt,Kira S. and Webster,Noah J. (2010). Social Relations and Mortality. Journal of Health Psychology, 15(5), 649-659.
- Stoller,Eleanor P.; Webster,Noah J.; Blixen,Carol E.; McCormick,Richard A.; Perzynski,Adam T.; Kanuch,Stephanie W. and Dawson,Neal V. (2009). Lay Management of Chronic Disease: A Qualitative Study of Living with Hepatitis C Infection. American Journal of Health Behavior, 33(4), 376-390.
- Stoller,Eleanor P.; Webster,Noah J.; Blixen,Carol E.; McCormick,Richard A.; Hund,Andrew J.; Perzynski,Adam T.; Kanuch,Stephanie W.; Thomas,Charles L.; Kercher,Kyle and Dawson,Neal V. (2009). Alcohol Consumption Decisions among Nonabusing Drinkers Diagnosed with Hepatitis C: An Exploratory Sequential Mixed Methods Study. Journal of Mixed Methods Research, 3(1), 65-86.
- Hinze,Susan W.; Webster,Noah J.; Chirayath,Heidi T. and Tamayo,Joshua H. (2009). Hurt Running from Police? no Chance of (Pain) Relief: The Social Construction of Deserving Patients in Emergency Departments. 27, 235-261. In Kronenfeld,Jennie J. (Ed.), Social Sources of Disparities in Health and Health Care and Linkages to Policy, Population Concerns and Providers of Care. Emerald Group Publishing Limited:Bingley,UK.
- Crawford,Peggy and Webster,Noah J. (2009). Assessment of Depression in Multiple Sclerosis. International Journal of MS Care, 11(4), 167-173.
- Webster,Noah J. (2009). . In Kattan,M. W. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Medical Decision Making. Sage Publications:Thousand Oaks, CA..
- Lane,Sandra D.; Webster,Noah J.; Levandowski,Brooke A.; Rubinstein,Robert A.; Keefe,Robert H.; Wojtowycz,Martha A.; Cibula,Donald A.; Kingson,Johanna E. F. and Aubry,Richard H. (2008). Environmental Injustice: Childhood Lead Poisoning, Teen Pregnancy, and Tobacco. Journal of Adolescent Health, 42(1), 43-49.
- Lane,Sandra D.; Keefe,Robert H.; Rubinstein,Robert; Levandowski,Brooke A.; Webster,Noah J.; Cibula,Donald A.; Boahene,Adwoa K.; Dele-Michael,Olabisi; Carter,Darlene; Jones,Tanika; Wojtowycz,Martha and Brill,Jessica (2008). Structural Violence, Urban Retail Food Markets, and Low Birth Weight. Health & Place, 14(3), 415-423.
- Webster,Noah J. (2008). . In Zhang,Y. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Global Health. Sage Publications:Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Blixen,CarolE; Webster,Noah J.; Hund,AndrewJ; Perzynski,AdamT; Kanuch,StephanieW; Stoller,EleanorPalo; McCormick,RichardA and Dawson,NealV (2008). Communicating about Alcohol Consumption to Nonharmful Drinkers with Hepatitis C: Patient and Provider Perspectives. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 23(8), 1290-1295.