Associate Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Amanda Sonnega, PhD, is an Associate Research Scientist in the Survey Research Center of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan (UM), where she is responsible for integrating communication, outreach, and education efforts for the Health and Retirement Study. She received her doctorate through the Department of Health, Behavior, and Society at the Johns Hopkins University and completed a postdoctoral fellowship within the ISR program in Social Environment and Health. Dr. Sonnega has lectured in the UM School of Public Health on psychosocial factors in health-related behavior. Her research focuses on life course trajectories of physical and mental health; institutional and personal factors associated with vulnerability and resilience in aging individuals; and work transitions and their broad effects on health and well-being.
- Leggett, Amanda N.; Sonnega, Amanda J. and Lohman, Matthew C. (2018). The Association of Insomnia and Depressive Symptoms with all-Cause Mortality among Middle-Aged and Old Adults. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry.
- Lohman, Matthew C.; Sonnega, Amanda J.; Nicklett, Emily J.; Estenson, Lillian and Leggett, Amanda N. (2018). Comparing Estimates of Fall-Related Mortality Incidence among Older Adults in the United States. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A.
- Burgard, Sarah and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2017). Occupational Differences in BMI, BMI Trajectories, and Implications for Employment Status among Older U.S. Workers. Work, Aging and Retirement, 4(1), 21-36.
- Pepin, Renee; Leggett, Amanda; Sonnega, Amanda J. and Assari, Shervin (2017). Depressive Symptoms in Recipients of Home- and Community-Based Services in the United States: Are Older Adults Receiving the Care they Need?. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 25(12), 1351-1360.
- Sonnega, Amanda J.; Helppie-McFall, Brooke; Hudomiet, Peter; Willis, Robert J. and Fisher, Gwenith G. (2017). A Comparison of Subjective and Objective Job Demands and Fit with Personal Resources as Predictors of Retirement Timing in a National U.S. Sample. Work, Aging and Retirement, 4(1), 37-51.
- Assari, Shervin and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2017). Racial Differences in the Predictive Role of High Depressive Symptoms on Incident Heart Disease Over 18 Years: Results from the Health and Retirement Study. Research in Cardiovascular Medicine, 6(1), e34767.
- Assari, Shervin; Sonnega, Amanda J.; Pepin, Renee and Leggett, Amanda (2017). Residual Effects of Restless Sleep Over Depressive Symptoms on Chronic Medical Conditions: Race by Gender Differences. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, 4, 59-69.
- Sonnega, Amanda J.; Robinson, Kristen and Levy, Helen G. (2017). Home and Community-Based Service and Other Senior Service use: Prevalence and Characteristics in a National Sample. Home Health Care Services Quarterly, 36(1), 16-28.
- McCluney, Courtney L.; Schmitz, Lauren L.; Hicken, Margaret T. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2017). Structural Racism in the Workplace: Does Perception Matter for Health Inequalities?. Social Science & Medicine.
- Leggett, Amanda; Pepin, Renee; Sonnega, Amanda J. and Assari, Shervin (2016). Predictors of New Onset Sleep Medication and Treatment Utilization among Older Adults in the United States. The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biomedical Sciences and Medical Sciences, 71(7), 954-960.
- Fisher, Gwenith G.; Ryan, Lindsay H.; Sonnega, Amanda J. and Naudé, Megan N. (2016). Job Lock, Work, and Psychological Well-being in the United States. Work, Aging and Retirement, 2(3), 345-358.
- Fisher, Gwenith G.; Chaffee, Dorey S. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2016). Retirement Timing: A Review and Recommendations for Future Research. Work, Aging and Retirement, 2(2), 230-261.
- Fisher, Gwenith G.; Ryan, Lindsay H. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2015). Prolonged Working Years: Consequences and Directions for Interventions. Sustainable Working Lives, 269-288. In Vuori,Jukka; Blonk,Roland and Price,Richard H. (Ed.) Springer Netherlands
- Sonnega, Amanda J. and Smith, Jacqui (2015). Health and Retirement Study: A Longitudinal Data Resource for Psychologists. Encyclopedia of Geropsychology, 1-13. In Pachana,Nancy A. (Ed.) Springer Singapore
- Fisher, Gwenith G.; Sonnega, Amanda J. and Chaffee, D. (2015). . Encyclopedia of Geropsychology. In Pachana,Nancy A. (Ed.) Springer Singapore:Thailand.
- Sonnega, Amanda J.; Faul, Jessica D.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Langa, Kenneth M.; Phillips, J. W. and Weir, David R. (2014). Cohort Profile: The Health and Retirement Study (HRS). International Journal of Epidemiology, 43(2), 576-585.
- Sonnega, Amanda J. and Weir, David R. (2014). The Health and Retirement Study: A Public Data Resource for Research on Aging. Open Health Data, 2(1), e7.
- Laitner, John P. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2013). . 136-151. In Wang,Mo (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Retirement. Oxford University Press:Oxford.
- Mouch, Charles A. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2012). Spirituality and Recovery from Cardiac Surgery: A Review. Journal of Religion and Health, 51(4), 1042-1060.
- Burkhauser, R.; Gustman, A.; Laitner, John P.; Mitchell, O. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2009). Social Security Research at the Michigan Retirement Research Center. Social Security Bulletin, 69(4), 51-64.