Associate Professor of Statistics, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts and Faculty Associate, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Hansen is Associate Professor of Statistics at the University of Michigan, as well as a faculty affiliate of the Survey Research Center and the Population Studies Center. He holds an M.A. in Statistics and a Ph.D. in Logic and the Methodology of Science, both from the University of California-Berkeley. His research interests include matching, sensitivity analysis and distribution-free methods for quasi-experiments and experiments, and applications in education, health and social science.
- Ben Hansen, Rowan,Brian P, Sales, Adam C. 2018. Rebar: Reinforcing a Matching Estimator With Predictions From High-Dimensional Covariates. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics 43(1):3-31.
- Ben Hansen, Wyss, Richard , Ellis, Alan R, Gagne, Joshua J, Desai, Rishi J, Glynn, Robert J, Stürmer, Til . 2017. The "Dry-Run" Analysis: A Method for Evaluating Risk Scores for Confounding Control. American Journal of Epidemiology 185(9):842-852.
- Ben Hansen, Gurm, H , Hosman, C , Bates, E , Share, D , Blue Cross Blue Shield, M . 2015. Comparative Effectiveness and Safety of a Catheterization Laboratory-Only Eptifibatide Dosing Strategy in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Circulation: Cardiovascular Interventions 8(2)
- Ben Hansen, Rosenbaum, Paul R, Small, Dylan S. 2014. Clustered Treatment Assignments and Sensitivity to Unmeasured Biases in Observational Studies. Journal of the American Statistical Association 109(505):133-144.
- Ben Hansen, Gurm, Hitinder S, Hosman, Carrie , Share, David . 2013. Comparative safety of vascular closure devices and manual closure among patients having percutaneous coronary intervention. Annals of Internal Medicine 159(10):660-666.
- Morenoff,Jeffrey D, Ben Hansen, Diez Roux, Ana V., Cerdá, Magdalena , Tessari Hicks, Kimberly J, Duque, Luis F, Restrepo, Alexandra . 2012. Reducing Violence by Transforming Neighborhoods: A Natural Experiment in MedellÃn, Colombia. American Journal of Epidemiology 175(10):1045-1053.
- Ben Hansen, Kirkland, A R. 2011. 'How do I Bring Diversity?' Race and Class in the College Admissions Essay. Law and Society Review 45(1):103-138.
- Ben Hansen, Hosman, Carrie A, Holland, Paul W. 2010. The sensitivity of linear regression coefficients' confidence limits to the omission of a confounder. Annals of Applied Statistics 4(2):849-870.
- Ben Hansen, Bowers, J . 2009. Attributing Effects to a Cluster-Randomized Get-Out-the-Vote Campaign. Journal of the American Statistical Association 104(487):873-885.
- Ben Hansen, Bowers, J . 2008. Covariate balance in simple, stratified and clustered comparative studies. Statistical Science 23(2):219-236.
- Ben Hansen. 2008. The prognostic analogue of the propensity score. Biometrika 95(2):481-488.
- Morenoff,Jeffrey D, Ben Hansen, Diez Roux, Ana V., Osypuk, Theresa . 2008. Residential Environments and Obesity: How Can Observational Studies Inform Policy Interventions?. The Health Effects of Social and Economic Policy
- Morenoff,Jeffrey D, Ben Hansen, Diez Roux, Ana V., Osypuk, Theresa . 2007. Residential Environments and Obesity: How Can Observational Studies Inform Policy Interventions?. The Health Effects of Social and Economic Policy
- Morenoff,Jeffrey D, House,James S, Ben Hansen, Williams, David R., Kaplan, George A., Hunte, H . 2007. Understanding social disparities in hypertension prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control: The role of neighborhood context. Social science & medicine 65(9):1853-1866.
- Ben Hansen, Gnedin, Alexander V, Pitman, Jim . 2007. Notes on the occupancy problem with infinitely many boxes: general asymptotics and power laws. Probability Surveys 3:146-171.
- Ben Hansen, Klopfer, S O. 2006. Optimal full matching and related designs via network flows. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 15(3):609-627.
- Ben Hansen. 2004. Full matching in an observational study of coaching for the SAT. Journal of the American Statistical Association 99(467):609-618.