Research Assistant Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Research Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, School of Public Health
As an environmental epidemiologist and with funding from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, the National Science Foundation, and Detroit community input, I study how social, economic, health, and built environment characteristics and/or air quality affect vulnerability to extreme heat and extreme precipitation. This research will help cities understand how to adapt to heat, heat waves and heavy rainfall in a changing climate.
I received my BA in Biology from the University of Chicago, with a specialization in Ecology and Evolution. Subsequently, I worked as a research assistant in the Clinical Trials Office at the Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit, MI before pursing a Masters in Public Health at the University of Michigan. I completed my MPH in 2008 and then completed my PhD in 2013 in the University of Michigan Department of Environmental Health Sciences, where I was a National Institute on Aging Public Health and Aging trainee. My dissertation focused on associations between high temperatures and hospital admissions and mortality among the elderly as well as sociodemographic and land cover characteristics that modify these associations. In my postdoctoral fellowships, I studied how social and environmental characteristics influence vulnerability to heat-related health effects, using data from longitudinal studies of cardiovascular health in seven U.S. cities as well as state and national records of severe health events.
- A National Neighborhood Data Resource to Understand Inequities in the Health and Socioeconomic Impacts of COVID-19 in the United States
- Assessing the Neuropsychological Benefits of Weatherization Programs
- Causal Mechanisms for Sustainable Adaptation to Adverse Heat and Precipitation Health Effects
- Detroit Flooding & Health Pilot Study
- Miatta A. Buxton, Safa Heydarzadeh, Carina Jane Gronlund, Marisol Castillo-Castrejon, Myrna Souraye Godines-Enriquez, Marie S. O’Neill, Felipe Vadillo-Ortega. 2023. Associations between Air Pollution Exposure and Blood Pressure during Pregnancy among PRINCESA Cohort Participants. Toxics 11(5):424.
- Larissa Larsen, Carina Jane Gronlund, Kaan Cem Ketenci, Sharon L. Harlan, David M. Hondula, Brian Stone Jr., Kevin Lanza, Evan Mallen, Mary K. Wright, Marie S. O’Neill. 2022. Safe at Home? A Comparison of Factors Influencing Indoor Residential Temperatures During Warm Weather Among Three Cities. Journal of the American Planning Association
- Khan, Anam Mashaal, Jessica Marie Finlay, Philippa J Clarke, Ketlyne Sol, Robert A Melendez, Judd, Suzanne, Carina Jane Gronlund. 2021. Association between temperature exposure and cognition: a cross-sectional analysis of 20,687 aging adults in the United States. BMC Public Health 21:1484.
- Jessica Marie Finlay, Anam Khan, Carina Jane Gronlund, Ketlyne Sol, Joy Jang, Robert A Melendez, Suzanne Judd, Philippa J Clarke. 2021. Weather Woes? Exploring Potential Links between Precipitation and Age-Related Cognitive Decline. International journal of environmental research and public health 17(23):9011.
- Rachel S. Bergmans, Peter Larson, Erica Bennion, Briana Mezuk, Matthew C. Wozniak, Allison L. Steiner, Carina Jane Gronlund. 2021. Short-term exposures to atmospheric evergreen, deciduous, grass, and ragweed aeroallergens and the risk of suicide in Ohio, 2007-2015: Exploring disparities by age, gender, and education level. Environmental Research 200:111450.
- Brian Stone, Jr., Evan Mallen, Mayuri Rajput, Carina Jane Gronlund, Ashley M. Broadbent, E. Scott Krayenhoff, Godfried Augenbroe, Marie S. O’Neill, Matei Georgescu. 2021. Compound Climate and Infrastructure Events: How Electrical Grid Failure Alters Heat Wave Risk. Environmental Science & Technology 55(10):6957–6964.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Kaan Cem Ketenci, Tony G. Reames, Peter S. Larson, Justin Schott, Zachary Rowe, Quinton S. Jenkins, Mario O. Sanca, Troy Tournat, Ketlyne Sol, Don'aa Williams, Emma Gijsbers, Marie S. O'Neill. 2021. Indoor apparent temperature, cognition, and daytime sleepiness among low-income adults in a temperate climate. Indoor Air 32(1):e12972.
- Cardoza, Jacqueline E., Carina Jane Gronlund, Schott, Justin, Ziegler, Todd, Stone, Brian, O’Neill, Marie S.. 2020. Heat-Related Illness Is Associated with Lack of Air Conditioning and Pre-Existing Health Problems in Detroit, Michigan, USA: A Community-Based Participatory Co-Analysis of Survey Data. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 17(16):5704.
- Mary K. Wright, David M. Hondula, Paul M. Chakalian, Liza C. Kurtz, Lance Watkins, Carina Jane Gronlund, Larissa Larsen, Evan Mallen, Sharon L. Harlan. 2020. Social and behavioral determinants of indoor temperatures in air-conditioned homes. Building and Environment 183:107187.
- Miatta A. Buxton, Wei Perng, Martha María Tellez-Rojo, Yanelli Rodríguez-Carmona, Alejandra Cantoral, Brisa N. Sánchez, Luis O. Rivera-González, Carina Jane Gronlund, Nitin Shivappah, James R. Héberth, Marie S. O'Neill, Karen E. Peterson. 2020. Particulate matter exposure, dietary inflammatory index and preterm birth in Mexico city, Mexico. Environmental Research 189:109852.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Lanza, Kevin , Stone, Brian , Chakalian, Paul M, Hondula, David M, Larsen, Larissa , Mallen, Evan , Haardörfer, Regine . 2020. Physical Activity in the Summer Heat: How Hot Weather Moderates the Relationship Between Built Environment Features and Outdoor Physical Activity of Adults. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 17(3):261-269.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Yang, Alyssa J, Conlon, Kathryn C, Bergmans, Rachel S, Le, Hien Q, Batterman, Stuart A, Wahl, Robert L, Cameron, Lorraine , O'Neill, Marie S. 2020. Time series analysis of total and direct associations between high temperatures and preterm births in Detroit, Michigan. BMJ Open 10(2)
- Paul M. Chakalian, Liza Kurtz, Sharon L. Harlan, Dave White, Carina Jane Gronlund, David M. Hondula. 2020. Exploring the Social, Psychological, and Behavioral Mechanisms of Heat Vulnerability in the City of Phoenix, AZ. Journal of Extreme Events 6(3 & 4)
- Kathryn C. Conlon, Evan Mallen, Carina Jane Gronlund, Veronica J. Berrocal, Larissa Larsen, Marie S. O’Neill. 2020. Mapping Human Vulnerability to Extreme Heat: A Critical Assessment of Heat Vulnerability Indices Created Using Principal Components Analysis. Environmental Health Perspectives 128(9)
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Berrocal, Veronica J. 2019. Modeling and comparing central and room air conditioning ownership and cold-season in-home thermal comfort using the American Housing Survey. Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Buxton, Miatta A, Meraz-Cruz, Noemi , Sanchez, Brisa N, Foxman, Betsy , Vadillo-Ortega, Felipe , O'Neill, Marie S. 2019. Air pollution and inflammation: Findings from concurrent repeated measures of systemic and reproductive tract cytokines during term pregnancy in Mexico City. Science of The Total Environment 681:235-241.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Cameron, Lorraine , Shea, Claire , O'Neill, Marie S. 2019. Assessing the magnitude and uncertainties of the burden of selected diseases attributable to extreme heat and extreme precipitation under a climate change scenario in Michigan for the period 2041-2070. Environmental Health 18(1):40.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Buxton, Miatta A, Meraz-Cruz, Noemi , Sánchez, Brisa N, Foxman, Betsy , Beltran-Montoya, Jorge , Castillo-Castrejon, Marisol , O'Neill, Marie S, Vadillo-Ortega, Felipe . 2019. Repeated Measures of Cervicovaginal Cytokines during Healthy Pregnancy: Understanding "Normal" Inflammation to Inform Future Screening. American Journal of Perinatology
- Ziegler, Todd B., Coombe, Chris M., Rowe, Zachary E., Clark, Sarah J., Carina Jane Gronlund, Lee, Michelle, Palacios, Angelina, Larsen, Larissa S., Reames, Tony G., Schott, Justin, Williams, Guy O., O’Neill, Marie S.. 2019. Shifting from âCommunity-Placedâ to âCommunity-Basedâ Research to Advance Health Equity: A Case Study of the Heatwaves, Housing, and Health: Increasing Climate Resiliency in Detroit (HHH) Partnership. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 16(18):3310.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Sullivan, Kyle P, Kefelegn, Yonathan , Cameron, Lorraine , OíNeill, Marie S. 2018. Climate change and temperature extremes: A review of heat- and cold-related morbidity and mortality concerns of municipalities. Maturitas 114:54-59.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Diez Roux, Ana V., Sheppard, Lianne , Adar, Sara D, O'Neill, Marie S, Auchincloss, Amy , Madrigano, Jaime , Kaufman, Joel . 2018. Vulnerability to the Cardiovascular Effects of Ambient Heat in Six US Cities: Results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Epidemiology 29(6):756.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Ogbomo, Adesuwa S, O'Neill, Marie S, Konen, Tess , Cameron, Lorraine , Wahl, Robert . 2017. Vulnerability to extreme-heat-associated hospitalization in three counties in Michigan, USA, 2000-2009. International journal of biometeorology 61(5):833-843.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Zanobetti, Antonella , Wellenius, Gregory A, Schwartz, Joel D, O'Neill, Marie S. 2016. Vulnerability to renal, heat and respiratory hospitalizations during extreme heat among US elderly. Climatic Change 136(3-4):631-645.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Guentchev, Galina S, Rood, Richard B, Ammann, Caspar M, Barsugli, Joseph J, Ebi, Kristie , Berrocal, Veronica , O'Neill, Marie S, Vigh, Jonathan L, Koziol, Ben , Cinquini, Luca . 2016. Evaluating the Appropriateness of Downscaled Climate Information for Projecting Risks of Salmonella. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 13(3)
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Berrocal, Veronica J, White-Newsome, Jalonne L, Conlon, Kathryn C, O'Neill, Marie S. 2015. Vulnerability to extreme heat by socio-demographic characteristics and area green space among the elderly in Michigan, 1990-2007. Environmental research 136:449-461.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Humbert, Sebastien , Shaked, Shanna , O'Neill, Marie S, Jolliet, Olivier . 2015. Characterizing the burden of disease of particulate matter for life cycle impact assessment. Air Quality Atmosphere and Health 8(1):29-46.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Zanobetti, Antonella , Schwartz, Joel D, Wellenius, Gregory A, O'Neill, Marie S. 2014. Heat, Heat Waves, and Hospital Admissions among the Elderly in the United States, 1992-2006. Environmental health perspectives 122(11):1187-1192.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, White-Newsome, Jalonne L, McCormick, Sabrina , Sampson, Natalie , Buxton, Miatta A, O'Neill, Marie S, Catalano, Linda , Conlon, Kathryn C, Parker, Edith A. 2014. Strategies to Reduce the Harmful Effects of Extreme Heat Events: A Four-City Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 11(2):1960-1988.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Bush, Kathleen F, Fossani, Cheryl L, Li, Shi , Mukherjee, Bhramar , O'Neill, Marie S. 2014. Extreme Precipitation and Beach Closures in the Great Lakes Region: Evaluating Risk among the Elderly. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 11(2):2014-2032.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Sampson, Natalie R, Buxton, Miatta A, Catalano, Linda , White-Newsome, Jalonne L, Conlon, Kathryn C, O'Neill, Marie S, McCormick, Sabrina , Parker, Edith A. 2013. Staying cool in a changing climate: Reaching vulnerable populations during heat events. Global Environmental Change-Human and Policy Dimensions 23(2):475-484.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Zanobetti, Antonella , O'Neill, Marie S, Schwartz, Joel D. 2013. Susceptibility to Mortality in Weather Extremes Effect Modification by Personal and Small-Area Characteristics. Epidemiology 24(6):809-819.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Zanobetti, Antonella , O'Neill, Marie S, Schwartz, Joel D. 2012. Summer temperature variability and long-term survival among elderly people with chronic disease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109(17):6608-6613.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, O'Neill, Marie S, Carter, Rebecca , Kish, Jonathan K, White-Newsome, Jalonne L, Manarolla, Xico , Zanobetti, Antonella , Schwartz, Joel D. 2009. Preventing heat-related morbidity and mortality: New approaches in a changing climate. Maturitas 64(2):98-103.
- Carina Jane Gronlund, Brown, Daniel G., White-Newsome, J , O'Neill, M S, Sunbury, T M, Brines, S J, Parker, E , Rood, R B, Rivera, Z . 2009. Climate change, heat waves, and environmental justice: Advancing knowledge and action. Environmental Justice 2(4):197-205.