Professor of Psychology, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Keating’s research focuses on integrating knowledge about developmental processes, population patterns in developmental health, and social factors affecting individual and population development.
The first program of research (funding from NICHD, Keating is PI) focuses on adolescent cognitive and brain development, including neurocognitive and neuroimaging methods, aimed at understanding the neurodevelopmental pathways in adolescent and early adult health risk behavior. We collected self-report and neurocognitive task data on a cohort of 15-17 year-olds (N=2017), and have completed two subsequent waves of data collection with them. A targeted subsample of this group (N=108, including high and average risk-takers) is also participating in a longitudinal neuroimaging study (fMRI, DTI, rsMRI, and EEG/ERP), with the first wave completed and the second wave underway.
The second program of research focuses on the impacts early life adversity and exposures, from prenatal through infancy, encompassing both psychosocial stressors and physical exposures. This is part of the national ECHO study (Environmental Influences on Child Health Outcomes, funding from NIEHS), in which a Michigan consortium is a research site, and includes 2 cohorts for which data collection continues. Keating’s role as a Co-Investigator is to focus on neurodevelopmental outcomes of early adversity and exposures, and the mechanisms through which they “get under the skin”, including epigenetic pathways.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2017). . 184-199. In Ruck,Martin D.; Peterson-Badali,Michele and Freeman,Michael (Ed.), Handbook of Children's Rights: Global and Multidisciplinary Perspectives. Routledge:New York.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2017). . New York:St. Martin's Press.
- Ruck, Martin D.; Keating, Daniel P.; Saewyc, Elizabeth M.; Earls, Felton and Ben-Arieh, Asher (2016). The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child: Its Relevance for Adolescents. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 26(1), 16-29.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2016). Transformative Role of Epigenetics in Child Development Research: Commentary on the Special Section. Child Development, 87(1), 135-142.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2016). Social Inequality in Population Developmental Health: An Equity and Justice Issue. Equity and Justice in Developmental Science: Theoretical and Methodological Issues, 50, 75-104. In Horn, SS Ruck, MD Liben,LS (Ed.), Advances in Child Development and Behavior.
- Mehta, Shobha H.; Kerver, Jean M.; Sokol, Robert J.; Keating, Daniel P. and Paneth, Nigel (2014). The Association between Maternal Obesity and Neurodevelopmental Outcomes of Offspring. The Journal of Pediatrics, 165(5), 891-896.
- Friedman, Sarah L.; Scholnick, Ellin K.; Bender, Randall H.; Vandergrift, Nathan; Spieker, Susan; Hirsh Pasek, Kathy; Keating, Daniel P. and Park, Yoonjung (2014). Planning in Middle Childhood: Early Predictors and Later Outcomes. Child Development, 85(4), 1446-1460.
- Miller, Fiona K. and Keating, Daniel P. (2013). Implementing an Evidence-Based Parent–Child Mental Health Program in a High-Risk Community. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health, 32(1), 139-153.
- Shapka, Jennifer D.; Domene, Jose F. and Keating, Daniel P. (2013). Trajectories of Educational Aspirations through High School and Beyond: A Gendered Phenomenon?. Canadian Journal of Education, 35(1), 239-258.
- Siddiqi, A.; Kawachi, I.; Keating, Daniel P. and Hertzman, C. (2013). A Comparative Study of Population Health in the United States and Canada during the Neoliberal Era, 1980-2008.. International Journal of Health Services, 43(2), 193-216.
- Kerver, J. M.; Elliott, Michael R.; Norman, G. S.; Sokol, R. J.; Keating, Daniel P.; Copeland, G. E.; Johnson, C. C.; Cislo, K. K.; Alcser, K. H.; Kruger-Ndiaye, S. R.; Pennell, Beth-Ellen; Mehta, S.; Joseph, C. L.; Paneth, N. and MANCS Executive, Committee (2013). Pregnancy Recruitment for Population Research: The National Children’s Study Vanguard Experience in Wayne County, Michigan.. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology, 27(3), 303-311.
- Falk, E. B.; Hyde, L. W.; Mitchell, Colter M.; Faul, Jessica D.; Gonzalez, R.; Heitzeg, M. M.; Keating, Daniel P.; Langa, Kenneth M.; Martz, M. E.; Maslowsky, J.; Morrison, Frederick J.; Noll, D. C.; Patrick, Megan E.; Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Reuter-Lorenz, P. A.; Thomason, M. E.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Monk, Christopher S. and Schulenberg, John E. (2013). What is a Representative Brain? Neuroscience Meets Population Science. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(44), 17615-17622.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2012). . Enfance, 3, 267-279.
- Watt, Helen M. G.; Shapka, Jennifer D.; Morris, Zoe A.; Durik, Amanda M.; Keating, Daniel P. and Eccles, Jacquelynne S. (2012). Gendered Motivational Processes Affecting High School Mathematics Participation, Educational Aspirations, and Career Plans: A Comparison of Samples from Australia, Canada, and the United States. Developmental Psychology, 48(6), 1594-1611.
- Maslowsky, J.; Buvinger, E.; Keating, Daniel P.; Steinberg, L. and Cauffman, E. (2011). Cost-Benefit Analysis Mediation of the Relationship between Sensation Seeking and Risk Behavior.. Pers Individ Dif., 51(7), 802-806.
- Maslowsky, Julie; Keating, Daniel P.; Monk, Christopher S. and Schulenberg, John E. (2011). Planned Versus Unplanned Risks: Neurocognitive Predictors of Subtypes of Adolescents’ Risk Behavior. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 35(2), 152-160.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2011). . In Keating,Daniel P. (Ed.), Nature and Nurture in Early Child Development. Cambridge University Press:New York.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2011). . New York:Cambridge University Press.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2011). . In Brown,B. B. and Perlstein,P. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Adolescence. Elsevier:Netherlands.
- Crosnoe, Robert; Morrison, Frederick J.; Burchinal, Margaret; Pianta, Robert; Keating, Daniel P.; Friedman, Sarah L. and Clarke-Stewart, K. (2010). Instruction, teacher–student Relations, and Math Achievement Trajectories in Elementary School. Journal of Educational Psychology, 102(2), 407-417.
- Runions, Kevin C. and Keating, Daniel P. (2010). Anger and Inhibitory Control as Moderators of Children’s Hostile Attributions and Aggression. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 31(5), 370-378. -.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2009). . In Hall,P. and Lamont,M. (Ed.), Successful Societies: Institutions, Cultural Repertoires and Population Health. Cambridge University Press:New York.
- Keating, Daniel P. and Simonton, S. Z. (2008). . 61-94. In House,James S.; Schoeni,Robert F.; Pollack,H. and Kaplan,George A. (Ed.), Making Americans Healthier: Social and Economic Policy as Health Policy. Russell Sage:New York.
- Keating, Daniel P. and Halpern-Felsher, B. L. (2008). Adolescent Drivers: A Developmental Perspective on Risk, Proficiency, and Safety. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 35(3 Suppl), S272-S277.
- Keating, Daniel P. (2008). . In Horowitz,F.; Matthews,D. and Subotnik,R. (Ed.), The Development of Giftedness and Talent Across the Life Span. American Psychological Association:Washington,DC.
- Shapka, J. D.; Domene, J. F. and Keating, Daniel P. (2008). . In Watt,H. M. G. and Eccles,J. S. (Ed.), Gender and Occupational Outcomes: Longitudinal Assessment of Individual, Social, and Cultural Influences. American Psychological Assocation:Washington,D.C..