Professor of Psychiatry, Medical School and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
David M. Fresco is Professor of Psychiatry and Faculty Affiliate at the Institute for Social Research (ISR). His program of research adopts an affective neuroscience perspective to conduct basic, translational, and treatment studies of anxiety and mood disorders, particularly distress disorders (e.g., major depressive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and post-traumatic stress disorder) incorporating methodologies including functional neuroimaging (fMRI & EEG), peripheral psychophysiology, and serum markers (e.g., inflammation, neurodegeneration).
Another facet of Dr. Fresco's research has focused on the development of treatments informed by affective and contemplative neuroscience findings that incorporate mindfulness meditation and other practices derived from Buddhist mental training exercises.
Increasingly, with collaborators at ISR, Dr. Fresco has initiated clinical trials for treatment optimization and implementation utilizing adaptive intervention methodology (e.g., sequential multiple assignment randomized trials [SMART] & just-in-time adaptive interventions [JITAIs])
Much of his current and recent NIH-funded research has focused on examining neurobehavioral mechanisms and efficacy of mindfulness-enriched treatments for chronic illnesses, and the role of emotion regulation strategies in everyday life to reduce distress.
- Michal Clayton, Phillip E Spaeth, Megan E Renna, Fresco,David Marc, Douglas S Mennin. 2021. Optimizing cognitive behavioral therapy to reduce the burden of distress disorders within an emotion regulation framework. New Directions in Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy :79-98.
- Chin, Gabrielle R., Greeson, Jeffrey M., Hughes, Joel W., Fresco,David Marc. 2021. Does Dispositional Mindfulness Predict Cardiovascular Reactivity to Emotional Stress in Prehypertension? Latent Growth Curve Analyses from the Serenity Study. Mindfulness
- Wierenga, Kelly L., Fresco,David Marc, Alder, Megan, Sattar, Abdus, Moore, Shirley M.. 2021. Preliminary Efficacy of an Emotion Regulation Intervention on Physical Activity and Depressive and Anxious Symptoms in Individuals in Cardiac Rehabilitation. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- Jean M. Quintero, Elena W. Mayville, Richard G. Heimberg, Fresco,David Marc, Douglas S. Mennina. 2021. Implicit Approach and Avoidance Motivational Changes in GAD Patients Treated with Emotion Regulation Therapy. Journal of Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy
- Fernando C Krause, Eftihia Linardatos, Fresco,David Marc, Michael T Moore. 2021. Facial emotion recognition in major depressive disorder: A meta-analytic review. Journal of Affective Disorders 293:320-328.
- Mia S O’Toole, Douglas. S. Mennin, Allison J. Applebaum, Fresco,David Marc, Robert Zachariae. 2021. Moderators and mediators of emotion regulation therapy for psychologically distressed caregivers of cancer patients: secondary analyses from a randomized controlled trial. Acta Oncologica 60(8):992-999.
- Mai B. Mikkelsen, Emma Elkjær, Douglas S. Mennin, Fresco,David Marc, Robert Zachariae, Allison Applebaum, Mia S O’Toole. 2021. The impact of emotion regulation therapy on emotion differentiation in psychologically distressed caregivers of cancer patients. Anxiety, Stress, & Coping
- Megan E Renna, Mia S O’Toole, Fresco,David Marc, Richard G Heimberg, Douglas S Mennin. 2021. From psychological to physical health: Exploring temporal precedence throughout emotion regulation therapy. Journal of Anxiety Disorders 80:102403.
- Kelly L. Wierenga, Fresco,David Marc, Megan Alder, Shirley M. Moore. 2021. Feasibility of an Emotion Regulation Intervention for Patients in Cardiac Rehabilitation. Western Journal of Nursing Research 43(4):338-346.