Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Research Professor, Public Policy, Gerald R Ford School of Public Policy
Dr. Johnson is the Director of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. His research interests include the measurement of inequality and mobility (using income, consumption and wealth), the effects of tax rebates, equivalence scale estimation, poverty measurement, and price indexes. He also worked for many years in the Federal Statistical System, including experience in administrative data linkages.
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2012 – 2016
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2017 – 2020
- Extramarginal SNAP Participants and Food Insecurity
- Health, Wealth, and Time Use Over the Life Course and Across Generations
- Inequality and Mobility over the Past Half Century Using the Synergistic Distributions of Income, Consumption, and Wealth
- Re-Inventing Measurement of Key Economic Indicators
- Transitions from Preschool through High School: Family, Schools & Neighborhoods
- Johnson, David Scott. 2019. Presidential Address: Measurement Matters: Policy in Federal Statistics and Data. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 38(2):297-307.
- Gabriel Ehrlich, John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin, Johnson, David Scott, Shapiro, Matthew D. 2019. Minding Your Ps and Qs: Going from Micro to Macro in Measuring Prices and Quantities. AEA Papers and Proceedings 109:438-443.
- Johnson, David Scott, McGonagle, Katherine A, Freedman, Vicki A, Sastry, Narayan. 2018. Fifty Years of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics: Past, Present, and Future. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 680(1):9-28.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fixler, Dennis , Craig, Andrew , Furlong-Norman, Kevin . 2017. A Consistent Data Series to Evaluate Growth and Inequality in the National Accounts. Review of Income and Wealth 63(s2):S437-S459.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, Jonathan , Latner, Jonathan , Smeeding, Timothy , Thompson, Jeffrey . 2016. Inequality and Mobility Using Income, Consumption, and Wealth for the Same Individuals. RSF: The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences 2(6):44-58.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, Jonathan , Smeeding, Timothy M. 2015. Inequality of Income and Consumption in the U.S.: Measuring the Trends in Inequality from 1984 to 2011 for the Same Individuals. Review of Income and Wealth 61(4):630-650.
- Johnson, David Scott, Massey, Catherine, O'Hara, Amy . 2015. The Opportunities and Challenges of Using Administrative Data Linkages to Evaluate Mobility. The Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 657(1):247-264.
- Johnson, David Scott, Sabelhaus, J , Ash, S , Swanson, D , Garner, T , Greenlees, J , Henderson, S . 2015. Is the Consumer Expenditure Survey Respresentative by Income?. Improving the Measurement of Consumer Expenditures
- Johnson, David Scott, Smeeding, Timothy M. 2015. Income Distribution and Inequality: Measurement Issues. International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (Second Edition) :732-738.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, Jonathan D, Smeeding, Timothy . 2014. Imputing income in the Consumer Expenditure Interview Survey.. Monthly Labor Review 11/2014
- Johnson, David Scott, Fixler, D . 2014. Accounting for the Distribution of Income in the US National Accounts. Measuring Economic Stability and progress :213-244.
- Jake Fisher, Johnson, David Scott, Smeeding, T M. 2013. Measuring the Trends in Inequality of Individuals and Families: Income and Consumption. American Economic Review 103(3):184-188.
- Johnson, David Scott, Parker, J A, Souleles, N S, McClelland, R . 2013. Consumer Spending and the Economic Stimulus Payments of 2008. American Economic Review 103(6):2530-2553.
- Johnson, David Scott, Lau, R S, Kamalanabhan, T J. 2012. Healthy Life Expectancy in the Context of Population Health and Ageing in India. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health 24(1):195-207.
- Johnson, David Scott, Joseph, C L. M., Saltzgaber, J , Havstad, S L, Peterson, E L, Alexander, G , Johnson, C C. 2011. Comparsion of Early-,Late-,and Non-Participants in a School-Based Asthma Management Program for Urban High School Students. Trials 12:141.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, J D, Marchand, J T, Smeeding, T M, Torrey, B B. 2009. Identifying the poorest older Americans. The journals of gerontology.Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences 64(6):758-766.
- Johnson, David Scott. 2009. Impressionistic Realism: The Europeans Focus the U.S. on Measurement. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 28(4):725-731.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, Jonathan D, Marchand, Joseph , Smeeding, Timothy M, Torrey, Barbara Boyle. 2008. The retirement consumption conundrum: Evidence from a consumption survey. Economics Letters 99(3):482-485.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, J D, Marchand, J T, Smeeding, T M, Torrey, B B. 2007. No place like home: older adults and their housing. The journals of gerontology.Series B, Psychological sciences and social sciences 62(2):S120-8.
- Johnson, David Scott, Sullivan, Karen C., Norton, Edward, Epstein, J N, Rabiner, D , FitzGerald, D P, Chrisman, A , Erkanli, A , March, J S, Margolis, P , Conners, K . 2007. Improving attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder treatment outcomes through use of a collaborative consultation treatment service by community-based pediatricians - A cluster randomized trial. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 161(9):835-840.
- Johnson, David Scott, Carson, G J, Steindel, Charles . 2006. Housing Costs in the CPI: What Are We Measuring?. Business Economics 41(1):59-68.
- Johnson, David Scott, Fisher, Jonathan D. 2006. Consumption Mobility in the United States: Evidence from Two Panel Data Sets. Topics in Economic Analysis & Policy 6