Arthur F Thurnau Professor, William H Payne Collegiate Professor of Education, Professor of Education, School of Education and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Deborah Loewenberg Ball is the William H. Payne Collegiate Professor in education at the University of Michigan, and an Arthur F. Thurnau Professor. She currently serves as dean of the School of Education and as director of TeachingWorks. She taught elementary school for more than 15 years, and continues to teach mathematics to elementary students every summer. Her research focuses on the practice of mathematics instruction, and on the improvement of teacher training and development. She is an expert on teacher education, with a particular interest in how professional training and experience combine to equip beginning teachers with the skills and knowledge needed for responsible practice. Ball has authored or co-authored more than 150 publications and has lectured and made numerous major presentations around the world. Her research has been recognized with several awards and honors, and she has served on several national and international commissions and panels focused on policy initiatives and the improvement of education, including the National Mathematics Advisory Panel and the Commission on the Future of Undergraduate Education. She serves on the National Science Board and the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute Board of Trustees, and chairs the Spencer Foundation Board of Directors. Ball has been elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the National Academy of Education, and is a fellow of the American Mathematics Society and the American Educational Research Association.
- Selling,Sarah K.; Garcia,Nicole and Ball,Deborah L. (2016). What does it Take to Develop Assessments of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching?: Unpacking the Mathematical Work of Teaching. The Mathematics Enthusiast, 13, 35-51.
- Hoover,Mark; Mosvold,Reidar; Ball,Deborah L. and Lai,Yvonne (2016). Making Progress on Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching. The Mathematics Enthusiast, 13(1-2), 3-34.
- Ball,Deborah L.; Corey,Douglas L.; Demonte,Jenny; Harrison,Delena and Phelps,Geoffrey (2012). Explaining Variation in Instructional Time: An Application of Quantile Regression. Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis, 34(2), 146-163.
- Hill,HeatherC; Ball,Deborah L.; Bass,Hyman; Blunk,Merrie; Brach,Katie; Charalambous,C. Y.; Cole,Yaa; Dean,Carolyn; Delaney,Sean; Eskelson,Sam; Goffney,Imani; Lewis,Jennifer; Phelps,Geoffrey; Sleep,Laurie; Thames,Mark and Zopf,Deborah (2011). Measuring the Mathematical Quality of Instruction. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 14(1), 25-47.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Forzani,Francesca M. (2011). Building a Common Core for Learning to Teach: And Connecting Professional Learning to Practice. American Educator, 35(Summer), 17-39.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Thames,Mark H. (2010). What Math Knowledge does Teaching Require?. Teaching Children Mathematics, 17(4), 220-229.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Forzani,Francesca M. (2010). What does it Take to make a Teacher?. The Phi Delta Kappan, 92(2), 8-12.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Forzani,Francesca M. (2010). . Educational Leadership, 68(4), 40-45.
- Lewis,J. and Ball,Deborah L. (2009). . In Featherman,David L.; Hall,M. and Krislov,M. (Ed.), The Next 25 Years? Affirmative Action and Higher Education in the United States and South Africa. University of Michigan Press:Ann Arbor, MI.
- Ball,Deborah L.; Bass,Hyman; Boerst,Timothy A. and Sleep,Laurie (2009). Combining the Development of Practice and the Practice of Development in Teacher Education. The Elementary School Journal, 109(5), 458-474.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Hill,Heather (2009). The Curious–and Crucial–Case of Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching. Phi Delta Kappan, 91(2), 68-71.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Forzani,Francesca M. (2009). The Work of Teaching and the Challenge for Teacher Education. Journal of Teacher Education, 60(5), 497-511.
- Stylianides,AndreasJ and Ball,Deborah L. (2008). Understanding and Describing Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching: Knowledge about Proof for Engaging Students in the Activity of Proving. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 11(4), 307-332.
- Schilling,Stephen G.; Delaney,Seán; Ball,Deborah L.; Hill,Heather C. and Zopf,Deborah (2008). Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching: Adapting U.S. Measures for use in Ireland. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 11(3), 171-197.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Bass,Hyman (2008). . 171-184. In Fenstermacher,G.; Coulter,D. and Wiens,J. (Ed.), Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education. Blackwell Publishing:Malden, MA.
- Ball,Deborah L. and Hill,Heather C. (2008). . 80-98. In Gitomer,D. H. (Ed.), Measurement Issues and Assessment for Teaching Quality. SAGE Publications:Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Hill,Heather C.; Blunk,Merrie L.; Charalambous,Charalambos Y.; Lewis,Jennifer M.; Phelps,Geoffrey C.; Sleep,Laurie and Ball,Deborah L. (2008). Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching and the Mathematical Quality of Instruction: An Exploratory Study. Cognition and Instruction, 26(4), 430-511.
- Hill,Heather C.; Ball,Deborah L. and Schilling,Stephen G. (2008). Unpacking Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Conceptualizing and Measuring Teachers’ Topic-Specific Knowledge of Students. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 39(4), 372-400.
- Ball,Deborah L.; Phelps,Geoffrey and Thames,Mark H. (2008). Content Knowledge for Teaching: What Makes it Special?. Journal of Teacher Education, 59(5), 389-407.