Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Medical School and Research Assistant Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Ehrlich is an ophthalmologist and population health researcher. His research is focused on understanding and addressing the adverse impact of vision impairment and blindness on health, disability, and quality-of-life, with a particular focus on older adults. He is the principal investigator of NIH funded research in this field, and also collaborates with a number of large population-based studies on aging in the U.S. and globally to develop and implement measures of vision and eye health. Dr. Ehrlich is a Visiting Scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He is also an invited member of the Lancet Global Health Commission on Global Eye Health and the Vision Loss Experts Group, a technical advisory group to the World Health Organization and the Global Burden of Disease project. Dr. Ehrlich co-directs the Jerome Jacobson Program in International Ophthalmology where his global health work is focused on research capacity building, systems strengthening, and collaborative research.
- Ehrlich,Josh, Swenor, Bonnielin K, Zhou, Yunshu, Langa, Kenneth M. 2021. The Longitudinal Association of Vision Impairment with Transitions to Cognitive Impairment and Dementia: Findings from The Aging, Demographics and Memory Study. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A
- Ryan Lange, Abigail Kumagai, Sara Weiss, Katherine B. Zaffke, Sherry Day, Donna Wicker, Ashley Howson, K. Thiran Jayasundera, Lori Smolinski, Christina Hedlich, Paul P. Lee, Robert W. Massof, Joan A. Stelmack, Noelle E. Carlozzi, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Vision-related quality of life in adults with severe peripheral vision loss: a qualitative interview study. Journal of Patient-Reported Outcomes 5:7.
- Varshini Varadaraj, Kayla S. Swiatek, Shang-En Chung, Ehrlich,Josh, Lama Assi, Jennifer L. Wolff, Bonnielin K. Swenor. 2021. Caring for Older Adults With Self-Reported Vision Impairment: Findings from the National Study of Caregiving. American Journal of Ophthalmology 227:211-221.
- De Lott, Lindsey B, Kolli, Ajay, Zhou, Yunshu, Hu, Mengyao, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Development and Validation of a Novel Indicator of Visual Disability in the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Innovation in Aging
- De Lott, Lindsey B., Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Patient-Reported Outcomes Research in Neuro-Ophthalmology. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology 41(2):141-146.
- Gabrielle D. Lacy, Maria Fernanda Abalem, Chris A. Andrews, Rebhi Abuzaitoun, Lilia T. Popova, Erin P. Santos, Gina Yu, Hanan Y. Rakine, Natasha Baig, Ehrlich,Josh, Abigail T. Fahim, Kari H. Branham, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Paul R. Lichter, Gislin Dagnelie, Joan A. Stelmack, David C. Musch, K. Thiran Jayasundera. 2021. The Michigan Vision-Related Anxiety Questionnaire: A Psychosocial Outcomes Measure for Inherited Retinal Degenerations. American Journal of Ophthalmology 225:137-146.
- Elizabeth A. Lundeen, Sharon Saydah, Ehrlich,Josh, Jinan Saaddine. 2021. Self-Reported Vision Impairment and Psychological Distress in U.S. Adults. Ophthalmic Epidemiology
- Naveen Karthik, Kayvan Barekatain, Hoang Vu, Danny T.Y. Wu, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. A readability comparison of online Spanish and English patient education materials about vision health. Ophthalmic Epidemiology
- Matthew J Burton, Jacqueline Ramke, Ana Patricia Marques, Rupert R A Bourne, Nathan Congdon, Iain Jones, Brandon A M Ah Tong, Simon Arunga, Damodar Bachani, Covadonga Bascaran, Andrew Bastawrous, Karl Blanchet, Tasanee Braithwaite, John C Buchan, John Cairns, Anasaini Cama, Margarida Chagunda, Chimgee Chuluunkhuu, Andrew Cooper, Jessica Crofts-Lawrence, William H Dean, Alastair K Denniston, Ehrlich,Josh, Paul M Emerson, Jennifer R Evans, Kevin D Frick, David S Friedman, João M Furtado, Michael M Gichangi, Stephen Gichuhi, Suzanne S Gilbert, Reeta Gurung, Esmael Habtamu, Peter Holland, Jost B Jonas, Pearse A Keane, Lisa Keay, Rohit C Khanna, Peng Tee Khaw, Hannah Kuper, Fatima Kyari, Van C Lansingh, Islay Mactaggart, Milka M Mafwiri, Wanjiku Mathenge, Ian McCormick, Priya Morjaria, Lizette Mowatt, Debbie Muirhead, Gudlavalleti V S Murthy, Nyawira Mwangi, Daksha B Patel, Tunde Peto, Babar M Qureshi, Solange R Salomão, Virginia Sarah, Bernadetha R Shilio, Anthony W Solomon, Bonnielin K Swenor, Hugh R Taylor, Ningli Wang, Aubrey Webson, Sheila K West, Tien Yin Wong, Richard Wormald, Sumrana Yasmin, Mayinuer Yusufu, Juan Carlos Silva, Serge Resnikoff, Thulasiraj Ravilla, Clare E Gilbert, Allen Foster, Hannah B Faal. 2021. The Lancet Global Health Commission on Global Eye Health: vision beyond 2020. The Lancet Global Health 9(4):e489-e551.
- Hu, Mengyao, Freedman, Vicki A, Ehrlich,Josh, Reed, Nicholas S, Billington, Catherine, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Collecting Objective Measures of Visual and Auditory Function in a National in-Home Survey of Older Adults. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(2):309-334.
- Bonnielin K Swenor, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Ageing and vision loss: looking to the future. Lancet Global Health 9(4):e385-e386.
- Divakar Gupta, Ehrlich,Josh, Paula Anne Newman-Casey, Brian Stagg. 2021. Cost-Related Medication Nonadherence in a Nationally Representative US Population with Self-Reported Glaucoma. Ophthalmology Glaucoma 4(2):126-130.
- Ehrlich,Josh, Jacqueline Ramke, David Macleod, Helen Burn, Chan Ning Lee, Justine H Zhang, William Waldock, Bonnielin K Swenor, Iris Gordon, Nathan Congdon, Matthew Burton, Jennifer R Evans. 2021. Association between vision impairment and mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Global Health 9(4):e418-e430.
- Lama Assi, Fatimah Chamseddine, Perla Ibrahim, Hadi Sabbagh, Lori Rosman, Nathan Congdon, Jennifer Evans, Jacqueline Ramke, Hannah Kuper, Matthew J. Burton, Ehrlich,Josh, Bonnielin K. Swenor. 2021. A Global Assessment of Eye Health and Quality of Life: A Systematic Review of Systematic Reviews. JAMA Ophthalmology 139(5):526-541.
- Ahmed F. Shakarchi, Lama Assi, Abhishek Gami, Christina Kohn, Ehrlich,Josh, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Nicholas S. Reed. 2021. The Association of Vision, Hearing, and Dual-Sensory Loss with Walking Speed and Incident Slow Walking: Longitudinal and Time to Event Analyses in the Health and Retirement Study. Seminars in Hearing 42(01):075-084.
- Ehrlich,Josh, GBD 2019 Blindness and Vision Impairment Collaborators. 2021. Trends in prevalence of blindness and distance and near vision impairment over 30 years: an analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. The Lancet Global Health 9(2):e130-e143.
- Ehrlich,Josh, GBD 2019 Blindness and Vision Impairment Collaborators. 2021. Causes of blindness and vision impairment in 2020 and trends over 30 years, and prevalence of avoidable blindness in relation to VISION 2020: the Right to Sight: an analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. The Lancet Global Health 9(2):e144-e160.
- Gabrielle D. Lacy, Maria Fernanda Abalema, Chris A. Andrews, Lilia T.Popova, Erin P. Santos, Gina Yu, Hanan Y. Rakine, Natasha Baig, Ehrlich,Josh, Abigail T. Fahim, Kari H. Branham, Joan A. Stelmack, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Gislin Dagnelie, David C. Musch, K. Thiran Jayasundera. 2021. The Michigan Retinal Degeneration Questionnaire: A Patient-Reported Outcome Instrument for Inherited Retinal Degenerations. American Journal of Ophthalmology 222:60-68.
- Emily M. Schehlein, Dayakar Yadalla, David Hutton, Joshua D. Stein, Rengaraj Venkatesh, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Detection of Posterior Segment Eye Disease in Rural Eye Camps in South India: A Nonrandomized Cluster Trial. Ophthalmology Retina
- Kimberly P. Hreha, Brian Downer, Ehrlich,Josh, Bret Howrey, Guilio Taglialatela. 2021. Association between vision impairment and cognitive decline in older adults with stroke: Health and Retirement Study. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research
- Ehrlich,Josh, Tochukwu Ndukwe, Sandy Chien, Jinkook Lee. 2021. The Association of Cognitive and Visual Function in a Nationally Representative Study of Older Adults in India. Neuroepidemiology 55(2):126-134.
- Brian C. Stagg, Divakar Gupta, Ehrlich,Josh, Paula Anne Newman-Casey, Joshua D. Stein, Kensaku Kawamoto, Rachel Hess. 2021. The Use of eHealth Practices by United States Patients with Self-Reported Glaucoma. Ophthalmology Glaucoma 4(1):71-77.
- Jacob J. Abou-Hanna, Amanda N. Leggett, Chris A. Andrews, Ehrlich,Josh. 2021. Vision impairment and depression among older adults in low- and middle-income countries. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 36(1):64-75.
- Xiang, Xiaoling , Freedman, Vicki A, Shah, Khushali , Hu, Rita X, Stagg, Brian C, Ehrlich,Josh. 2019. Self-reported Vision Impairment and Subjective Well-being in Older Adults: A Longitudinal Mediation Analysis. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A 75(3):589-595.