Research Assistant Professor, Survey Research Center and Faculty Associate, Population Studies Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Treleaven studies the mechanisms through which family and community context shape health and health disparities in early childhood, and how health system characteristics affect children’s health and healthcare utilization. This includes how families make decisions and investments related to young children’s health, with particular interests in economic insecurity, migration, and gender. She also evaluates interventions related to maternal, newborn, and child health. Across her work, Dr. Treleaven is interested in developing and testing innovative survey measures and strategies to improve measurement of health and mortality in early childhood.
- Emily Treleaven. 2023. The relationship between extended kin resources and children’s healthcare utilization: An analysis of family networks. Social Science & Medicine 321:115720.
- Melanie S. Askari, Emily Treleaven, Dirgha Jibi Ghimire, William G Axinn, Sabrina Hermosilla. 2022. COVID-19 worries, concerns and mitigation behaviours: A snapshot of Nepal during the first wave. Tropical Medicine & International Health 27(2):165-173.
- Julia M. Porth, Abram L. Wagner, Emily Treleaven, Nancy L. Fleischer, Martin K. Mutua, Thomas M. Braun, Matthew L. Boulton. 2022. Childhood vaccination timeliness following maternal migration to an informal urban settlement in Kenya. Vaccine 40(4):627-639.
- Epstein, Adrienne, Emily Treleaven, Dirgha Jibi Ghimire, Diamond-Smith, Nadia. 2022. Drought and migration: an analysis of the effects of drought on temporary labor and return migration from a migrant-sending area in Nepal. Population and Environment
- Sabrina Hermosilla, Emily Treleaven, Dirgha Jibi Ghimire. 2022. Migration and Health in Nepal. Migration and Health :297-306.
- Emily Treleaven, Caroline Whidden, Faith Cole, Kassoum Kayentao, Mohamed Bana Traoré, Djoumé Diakité, Seydou Sidibé, Tracy Kuo Lin, David Boettiger, Souleymane Cissouma, Vincent Sanogo, Nancy Padian, Ari Johnson, Jenny Liu. 2021. Relationship between symptoms, barriers to care and healthcare utilisation among children under five in rural Mali. Tropical Medicine & International Health 26(8):943-952.
- Emily Treleaven, Toan Ngoc Pham, Anh Duy Nguyen, Nadia Diamond-Smith. 2021. The list experiment: An approach to measuring stigmatized behaviours related to sex-selective abortion. Population Studies 75(3):363-380.
- Elizabeth Spiegel, Kathryn C. Nesbit, Ketly Altenor, Hoa Thi Nguyen, Ly Tran, Angela Quiñonez Hermosa, Holly Martin, Julia von Oettingen, Emily Treleaven, John Colin Partridge. 2021. Valuation of Life With Disability: An International Comparison Study in Vietnam, Peru, and Haiti. Journal of Child Neurology 36(7):556-567.
- Emily Treleaven, Chanrith Ngin. 2021. When parents are not present: Decision-making dynamics for young childrenâs health and illness in migrant-sending households in rural Cambodia. Social Science & Medicine 287:114327.
- Narayan Sastry, William G Axinn, Julie Ann Josefosky de Jong, Dirgha Jibi Ghimire, Emily Treleaven. 2021. Assessing the Opportunities and Challenges in the Transition to Computer-Based Survey Data Collection: The Role of Key Software System Features. Report to the World Bank
- Boettiger, David C., Emily Treleaven, Kayentao, Kassoum, Guindo, Mahamadou, Coumaré, Mama, Johnson, Ari D., Whidden, Caroline, Koné, Naimatou, Cissé, Amadou Beydi, Padian, Nancy, Liu, Jenny. 2021. Household factors and under-five mortality in Bankass, Mali: results from a cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 21:244.
- Emily Treleaven, Whidden, Caroline , Liu, Jenny , Padian, Nancy , Poudiougou, Belco , Bautista-Arredondo, Sergio , Fay, Michael P, Samaké, Salif , Cissé, Amadou B, Diakité, Djoumé , Keita, Youssouf , Johnson, Ari D, Kayentao, Kassoum . 2019. Proactive community case management and child survival: protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open 9(8):e027487.
- Emily Treleaven. 2019. Migration and investments in the health of children left behind: the role of remittances in children's healthcare utilization in Cambodia. Health Policy and Planning 34(9):684-693.
- Nadia Diamond-Smith, Emily Treleaven, Elizabeth Omoluabi, Jenny Liu. 2019. Comparing simulated client experiences with phone survey self-reports for measuring quality of information given in family planning counseling: The case of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate – subcutaneous (DMPA-SC) in Nigeria. Gates Open Research 3:1092.
- Emily Treleaven, Pham, Toan Ngoc, Le, Duy Ngoc, Brooks, Trevor N, Le, Hai Thanh, Partridge, J Colin. 2017. Referral patterns, delays, and equity in access to advanced paediatric emergency care in Vietnam. International Journal for Equity in Health 16(1):215.
- Emily Treleaven, Moseson, Heidi , Gerdts, Caitlin , Diamond-Smith, Nadia . 2017. The List Experiment for Measuring Abortion: What We Know and What We Need. Studies in Family Planning 48(4):397-405.
- Emily Treleaven, Diamond-Smith, Nadia , Murthy, Nirmala , Sudhinaraset, May . 2017. Women's empowerment and experiences of mistreatment during childbirth in facilities in Lucknow, India: results from a cross-sectional study. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 17(2):335.
- Emily Treleaven, Sudhinaraset, May , Melo, Jason , Singh, Kanksha , Diamond-Smith, Nadia . 2016. Women's status and experiences of mistreatment during childbirth in Uttar Pradesh: a mixed methods study using cultural health capital theory. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 16(1):332.
- Emily Treleaven, Liu, Jenny , Prach, Lisa M, Hansen, Mara , Anyanti, Jennifer , Jagha, Temple , Seaman, Vince , Ajumobi, Olufemi , Isiguzo, Chinwoke . 2016. The role of drug vendors in improving basic health-care services in Nigeria. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 94(4):267-275.
- Emily Treleaven, Toan, Pham Ngoc, Le, Duy Ngoc, Diamond-Smith, Nadia , Partridge, J Colin, Le, Hai Thanh. 2016. Gender disparities in child health care seeking in northern Vietnam. Asian Population Studies 12(3):312-330.
- Emily Treleaven, Liu, Jenny , Prach, Lisa M, Isiguzo, Chinwoke . 2015. Management of paediatric illnesses by patent and proprietary medicine vendors in Nigeria. Malaria Journal 14(1):232.
- Emily Treleaven, Prach, Lisa M, Isiguzo, Chinwoke , Liu, Jenny . 2015. Care-seeking at patent and proprietary medicine vendors in Nigeria. BMC Health Services Research 15(1):231.