Research Associate Professor, Survey Research Center
Fabian Pfeffer is Research Associate Professor in the Survey Research Center and Associate Professor in the Department of Sociology. He is the founding director of the Center for Inequality Dynamics (CID) as well as Co-Investigator of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID). His research investigates social inequality and its maintenance across time and generations. Current work focuses and wealth inequality and its consequences for the next generation, on social mobility processes across multiple generations, and on the maintenance of inequality through education.
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2017 – 2020
- Family Dynamics, Fertility, and Investments in Children Across Generations
- Health, Wealth, and Time Use Over the Life Course and Across Generations
- How Accessible is the Top? The Changing Rigidity of High Incomes and Earnings
- Linking 1940 U.S. Census Data for Five Modern Surveys on Health and Aging
- Linking 1940 U.S. Census Data to Five Modern Surveys of Health and Aging
- PSID, CDS, and TA: Data Enhancements and User Training, Support, and Outreach
- Transition to Adulthood within its Life Course & Intergenerational Family Context
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2018). Growing Wealth Gaps in Education. Demography, 55(3), 1033-1068.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Killewald, Alexandra (2018). Generations of Advantage. Multigenerational Correlations in Family Wealth. Social Forces, 96(14), 1411-1442.
- Hällsten, Martin; Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2017). Grand Advantage: Family Wealth and Grandchildren’s Educational Achievement in Sweden. American Sociological Review, 82(2), 328-360.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Griffin, Jamie L. (2017). Determinants of Wealth Fluctuation: Changes in Hard-To-Measure Economic Variables in a Panel Study. Methods, Data, and Analyses, 11(1), 87-108.
- Prix, Irene; Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2017). . 112-135. In Erola, Jani; Kilpi-Jakonen, Elina (Ed.), Social Inequality Across the Generations: The Role of Compensation and Multiplication in Resource Accumulation. Edward Elgar Publishing:Northhampton, MA.
- Killewald, Alexandra; Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2017). Wealth Inequality and Accumulation. Annual Review of Sociology, 43, 379-404.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Schoeni, Robert F.; Kennickell, Arthur; Andreski, Patricia (2016). Measuring wealth and wealth inequality: Comparing two US surveys. Journal of economic and social measurement, 41(2), 103-120.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Schoeni, Robert F. (2016). How Wealth Inequality Shapes Our Future. RSF: The Russell Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences, 2(6), 2-22.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2015). Equality and Quality in Education. A Comparative Study of 19 Countries. Social Science Research, 51, 350-368.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. and Hertel, Florian R. (2015). How has Educational Expansion Shaped Social Mobility Trends in the United States?. Social Forces, 94(1), 143-180.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2014). Multigenerational Approaches to Social Mobility. A Multifaceted Research Agenda. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 35, 12-Jan. Inequality Across Multiple Generations.
- Brand, J. E.; Pfeffer, Fabian T. and Goldrick-Rab, S. (2014). The Community College Effect Revisited: The Importance of Attending to Heterogeneity and Complex Counterfactuals. Sociological Science, 1, 448-465.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Danziger, Sheldon H. and Schoeni, Robert F. (2013). Wealth Disparities before and After the Great Recession. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 650, 98-123.
- Falk, E. B.; Hyde, L. W.; Mitchell, Colter M.; Faul, Jessica D.; Gonzalez, R.; Heitzeg, M. M.; Keating, Daniel P.; Langa, Kenneth M.; Martz, M. E.; Maslowsky, J.; Morrison, Frederick J.; Noll, D. C.; Patrick, Megan E.; Pfeffer, Fabian T.; Reuter-Lorenz, P. A.; Thomason, M. E.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Monk, Christopher S. and Schulenberg, John E. (2013). What is a Representative Brain? Neuroscience Meets Population Science. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 110(44), 17615-17622.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2011). . In Smeeding,Timothy; Erikson,Robert and Jantti,Markus (Ed.), Persistance, Privilege and Parenting. the Comparative Study of Intergenerational Mobility. Russell Sage:New York.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. and Goldrick-Rab, Sara (2009). Beyond Access: Explaining Socioeconomic Differences in College Transfer. Sociology of Education, 82(2), 101-125.
- Pfeffer, Fabian T. (2008). Persistent Inequality in Educational Attainment and its Institutional Context. European Sociological Review, 24(5), 543-565.