Research Associate Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Esther Friedman is a Research Associate Professor at the Survey Research Center, where she also serves as an Associate Director of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID). Dr. Friedman is a sociologist whose research examines how families and communities facilitate the health and wellbeing of older adults. Much of her recent work focuses on family caregiving and long-term care. She is currently leading a study for which she is collecting and analyzing new data on the social support networks of family caregivers to persons with dementia.
- Carolyn M. Rutter, Ifeanyi Edochie, Friedman,Esther M, Mary E. Slaughter, Margaret M. Weden. 2022. A Simple Method for Simulating Dementia Onset and Death within an Existing Demographic Model. Medical Decision Making 42(1):43-50.
- Friedman,Esther M, Houle, Jason N, Cagney,Kathleen Anne, Slaughter, Mary E, Shih, Regina A. 2021. The Foreclosure Crisis, Community Change, and the Cognitive Health of Older Adults. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 76(5):956-967.
- Friedman,Esther M, Regina A. Shih, Sangeeta C. Ahluwalia, Virginia I. Kotzias, Jessica L. Phillips, Daniel Siconolfi, Debra Saliba. 2021. Factors Explaining State Differences in Applying for a Recent Long-Term Care Program that Promotes Aging in Place: Perspectives of Medicaid Administrators. Journal of Applied Gerontology 40(9):972-979.
- Daniel Siconolfi, Sangeeta C. Ahluwalia, Friedman,Esther M, Debra Saliba, Regina A. Shih. 2021. Perceived impacts of a Medicaid rebalancing initiative to increase home- and community-based services. Health Services Research 56(6):1137-1145.
- Regina A. Shih, Friedman,Esther M, Emily K. Chen, Grace C. Whiting. 2021. Prevalence and Correlates of Gray Market Use for Aging and Dementia Long-Term Care in the U.S.. Journal of Applied Gerontology 41(4):1030-1034.
- Sangeeta C. Ahluwalia, Friedman,Esther M, Daniel Siconolfi, Debra Saliba, Jessica Phillips, Regina Shih. 2021. Promises and Pitfalls of Health Information Technology for Home- and Community-Based Services. Journal of Applied Gerontology 40(5):558-565.
- Richard Schulz, Scott R. Beach, Friedman,Esther M. 2021. Caregiving Factors as Predictors of Care Recipient Mortality. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 29(3):295-303.
- Friedman,Esther M, Kennedy, David P. 2021. Typologies of Dementia Caregiver Support Networks: A Pilot Study. The Gerontologist 61(8):1221-1230.
- Friedman,Esther M, Madhumita Ghosh-Dastidar, Teague Ruder, Daniel Siconolfi, Regina A. Shih. 2021. Trends In Home Care Versus Nursing Home Workforce Sizes: Are States Converging Or Diverging Over Time?. Health Affairs 40(12):1875-1882.