Professor of Sociology, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Research Professor, Population Studies Center and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Barber’s research is conducted at the intersection of family sociology, demography, and social psychology, with a focus on teen pregnancy. She recently completed an NICHD-funded intensive longitudinal project, the Relationship Dynamics and Social Life study, that collected weekly data on 1,000 18- and 19-year-old women for 2.5 years, along with semi-structured interview data, observational data, and administrative data. The RDSL study identifies the types of attitudes, relationship characteristics, and contraceptive practices that affect early and/or unintended pregnancy. Barber also recently completed a William T. Grant Foundation Distinguished Fellowship, a mid-career opportunity to immerse herself in a practice setting – in this case a teen pregnancy prevention center in Detroit and a Planned Parenthood clinic in southeastern Michigan.
- Moseson, Heidi; Dehlendorf, Christine; Gerdts, Caitlin; Vittinghoff, Eric; Hiatt, Robert A. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2018). No One to Turn to: Low Social Support and the Incidence of Undesired Pregnancy in the United States. Contraception.
- Gatny, Heather H.; Kusunoki, Yasmin and Barber, Jennifer S. (2018). Pregnancy Scares and Change in Contraceptive use. Contraception.
- Miller, Warren B.; Barber, Jennifer S. and Schulz, Paul (2017). Do Perceptions of their Partners’ Childbearing Desires Affect Young Women’s Pregnancy Risk? further Study of Ambivalence. Population Studies, 71(1), 101-116.
- Weitzman, Abigail; Barber, Jennifer S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin and England, Paula (2017). Desire for and to Avoid Pregnancy during the Transition to Adulthood. Journal of Marriage and Family, 79(4), 1060-1075.
- Barber, Jennifer S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin; Gatny, Heather H. and Melendez, Robert (2017). The Relationship Context of Young Pregnancies. Law & Inequality, 35(2), 175-198.
- Kusunoki, Yasamin; Barber, Jennifer S.; Gatny, Heather H. and Melendez, Robert (2017). Physical Intimate Partner Violence and Contraceptive Behaviors among Young Women. Journal of Women's Health.
- Wu, Justine P.; Kusunoki, Yasamin; Ela, Elizabeth J. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2016). Patterns of Contraceptive Consistency among Young Adult Women in Southeastern Michigan: Longitudinal Findings Based on Journal Data. Women's Health Issues, 26(3), 305-312.
- Hayford, Sarah R.; Guzzo, Karen B.; Kusunoki, Yasamin and Barber, Jennifer S. (2016). Perceived Costs and Benefits of Early Childbearing: New Dimensions and Predictive Power. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 48, 83-91.
- Barber, Jennifer S.; Gatny, Heather H.; Kusunoki, Yasamin and Schulz, Paul (2016). Effects of Intensive Longitudinal Data Collection on Pregnancy and Contraceptive use. International Journal of Social Research Methodology, 19, 205-222.
- Kusunoki, Yasamin; Barber, Jennifer S.; Ela, Elizabeth J. and Bucek, Amelia (2016). Black-White Differences in Sex and Contraceptive use among Young Women. Demography, 53(5), 1399-1428.
- Barber, Jennifer S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin; Gatny, Heather and Schulz, Paul (2016). Participation in an Intensive Longitudinal Study with Weekly Web Surveys Over 2.5 Years. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 18, e105.
- Hall, K. S.; Kusunoki, Y.; Gatny, H. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2015). Social Discrimination, Stress, and Risk of Unintended Pregnancy among Young Women. The Journal of Adolescent Health : Official Publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, 56(3), 330-337.
- Barber, Jennifer S.; Yarger, J. E. and Gatny, H. H. (2015). Black-White Differences in Attitudes Related to Pregnancy among Young Women. Demography, 52(3), 751-786.
- Hall, K. S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin; Gatny, H. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2014). Stress Symptoms and Frequency of Sexual Intercourse among Young Women. The Journal of Sexual Medicine, 11(8), 1982-1990.
- Hall, K. S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin; Gatny, H. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2014). The Risk of Unintended Pregnancy among Young Women with Mental Health Symptoms. Social Science & Medicine, 100, 62-71.
- Gatny, H. H.; Kusunoki, Y. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2014). Pregnancy Scares and Subsequent Unintended Pregnancy. Demographic Research, 31, 1229-1242.
- East, P. L. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2014). High Educational Aspirations among Pregnant Adolescents are Related to Pregnancy Unwantedness and Subsequent Parenting Stress and Inadequacy. Journal of Marriage and the Family, 76(3), 652-664.
- Miller, Warren B.; Barber, Jennifer S. and Gatny, Heather H. (2013). The Effects of Ambivalent Fertility Desires on Pregnancy Risk in Young Women in the USA. Population Studies, 67(1), 25-38.
- Stidham Hall, K.; Moreau, C.; Trussell, J. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2013). Young Women’s Consistency of Contraceptive use–does Depression Or Stress Matter?. Contraception, 88(5), 641-649.
- Jennings, Elyse A. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2013). The Influence of Neighbors’ Family Size Preference on Progression to High Parity Births in Rural Nepal. Studies in Family Planning, 44(1), 67-84.
- Barber, Jennifer S. and Kusunoki, Yasamin (2013). . In Buchanan,Ann and Rotkirch,Anna (Ed.), Fertility Rates and Population Decline: No Time for Children?. Palgrave MacMillan
- Barber, Jennifer S. and East, Patricia (2011). Children’s Experiences After the Unintended Birth of a Sibling. Demography, 48(1), 101-125.
- Barber, Jennifer S.; Kusunoki, Yasamin and Gatny, Heather H. (2011). Design and Implementation of an Online Weekly Journal to Study Unintended Pregnancies. Vienna Yearbook of Population Research, 9, 327-334.
- Thornton, Arland; Aachen, S.; Barber, Jennifer S.; Binstock, Georgina; Garrison, W.; Ghimire, Dirgha J.; Guangzhou, W.; Inglehart, R.; Jayakody, Rukmalie; Jiang, Y.; De Jong, Julie; King, K.; Lesthaeghe, Ron; Mehenna, W.; Mitchell, Colter M.; Moaddell, Mansoor; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Schwarz, Norbert; Xie, Yu; Yang, Li-Shou; Young-DeMarco, Linda C. and Yount, K. (2010). . In Harkness,Janet A.; Braun,M.; Edwards,B.; Johnson,T.; Lyberg,Lars; Mohler,Peter P.; Pennell,Beth-Ellen and Smith,T. W. (Ed.), Survey Methods in Multinational, Multiregional, and Multicultural Contexts. Wiley:Hoboken, N.J.
- Axinn, William G.; Barber, Jennifer S. and Biddlecom, Ann E. (2010). Social Organization and the Transition from Direct to Indirect Consumption. Social Science Research, 39(3), 357-368.
- Vahratian, Anjel; Barber, Jennifer S.; Lawrence, Jean M. and Kim, Catherine (2009). Family-Planning Practices among Women with Diabetes and Overweight and Obese Women in the 2002 National Survey for Family Growth. Diabetes Care, 32(6), 1026-1031.
- Gatny, Heather H.; Couper, Mick P.; Axinn, William G. and Barber, Jennifer S. (2009). Using Debit Cards for Incentive Payments: Experiences of a Weekly Survey Study. Survey Practice, 2(7).
- Barber, Jennifer S. and East, Patricia L. (2009). Home and Parenting Resources Available to Siblings Depending on their Birth Intention Status. Child Development, 80(3), 921-939.