Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research, Research Scientist and Professor of Economics, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
John P. Laitner is Director of the University of Michigan Retirement Research Center, Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for Social Research, and Professor of Economics. His research falls primarily in the area of economic theory, in particular, factors influencing long-run growth and the distribution of wealth. Among his recent publications are the following: “Random Earnings Differences, Lifetime Liquidity Constraints, and Altruistic Intergenerational Transfers,” Journal of Economic Theory, December 1992; “Quantitative Evaluations of Efficient Tax Policies,” Oxford Economic Papers, July 1995; “New Evidence on Altruism: A Study of TIAA–CREF Retirees” (with T. Juster), American Economic Review, September 1996; “Intergenerational and Interhousehold Economic Links,” chapter 5 of Handbook of Population and Family Economics, North–Holland, 1997; “Earnings Within Education Groups and Overall Productivity Growth,” Journal of Political Economy, forthcoming; “Bequest Motives: A Comparison of Sweden and the United States” (with H. Ohlsson), Journal of Public Economics, forthcoming; and “Social Security Reform and National Wealth,” Scandinavian Journal of Economics, forthcoming. He received his Ph.D. from Harvard University.
- Laitner, John P. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2013). . 136-151. In Wang,Mo (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Retirement. Oxford University Press:Oxford.
- Laitner, John P.; matsushita, Keiichiro and Nishimura, Noriko (2013). Technological Progress and the Wage Growth of Older Japanese Workers. The Review of Socionetwork Strategies, 7(2), 65-83.
- Laitner, John P. and Stolyarov, Dmitriy (2013). Derivative Ideas and the Value of Intangible Assets. International Economic Review, 54(1), 59-95.
- Laitner, John P. and Silverman, Daniel (2012). Consumption, Retirement and Social Security: Evaluating the Efficiency of Reform that Encourages Longer Careers. Journal of Public Economics, 96(7-8), 615-615.
- Burkhauser, R.; Gustman, A.; Laitner, John P.; Mitchell, O. and Sonnega, Amanda J. (2009). Social Security Research at the Michigan Retirement Research Center. Social Security Bulletin, 69(4), 51-64.
- House, Christopher L.; Laitner, John P. and Stolyarov, Dmitriy (2008). Valuing Lost Home Production of Dual Earner Couples. International Economic Review, 49(2), 701-736.