Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Lindsay Ryan is an Assistant Research Scientist at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. She received her Ph.D. in 2008 from the Pennsylvania State University in Human Development and Family Studies. Dr. Ryan is an investigator on several ongoing research projects, all of which involve an interest in better measuring and understanding the processes by which adults change over the life course. Her research interests include investigating individual and contextual influences on well-being, physical health, and cognition across adulthood, with a particular focus on the impact of social relations.
- A Census-Enhanced Health and Retirement Study: A Proposal to Create and Analyze an HRS Dataset Enhanced with Characteristics of Employers
- Boomers, Entrepreneurship, and Retirement 2030
- Health and Retirement Study Yrs 23-28
- Health and Retirement Study Yrs 23-28
- Survey Measures of Subjective Well-being: Age, Appraisal, and Cognition Effects
- Mejía,Shannon T.; Ryan,Lindsay H.; Gonzalez,Richard and Smith,Jacqui (2017). Successful Aging as the Intersection of Individual Resources, Age, Environment, and Experiences of Well-being in Daily Activities. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 72(2), 279-289.
- Birditt,Kira S.; Newton,Nicky J.; Cranford,James A. and Ryan,Lindsay H. (2016). Stress and Negative Relationship Quality among Older Couples: Implications for Blood Pressure. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 71(5), 775-785.
- Fisher,Gwenith G.; Ryan,Lindsay H.; Sonnega,Amanda J. and Naudé,Megan N. (2016). Job Lock, Work, and Psychological Well-being in the United States. Work, Aging and Retirement, 2(3), 345-358.
- Ryan,Lindsay H. (2016). . In Whitbourne,S. K. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Adulthood and Aging. Wiley-Blackwell:Hoboken,NJ.
- Smith,Jacqui and Ryan,Lindsay H. (2016). . 303-319. In Schaie,K. W. and Willis,S. I. (Ed.), Handbook of the Psychology of Aging. Elsevier:San Diego, CA.
- Fisher,Gwenith G.; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Sonnega,Amanda J. (2015). Prolonged Working Years: Consequences and Directions for Interventions. Sustainable Working Lives, 269-288. In Vuori,Jukka; Blonk,Roland and Price,Richard H. (Ed.) Springer Netherlands
- Smith,Jacqui and Ryan,Lindsay H. (2015). . In Schaie,K. W. and Willis,S. L. (Ed.), The Handbook of the Psychology of Aging. Elsevier:Amersterdam.
- Ryan,Lindsay H.; Wan,W. H. and Smith,Jacqui (2014). Spousal Social Support and Strain: Impacts on Health in Older Couples. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 37(6), 1108-1117.
- Windsor,Tim D.; Gerstorf,Denis; Pearson,Elissa; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Anstey,Kaarin J. (2014). Positive and Negative Social Exchanges and Cognitive Aging in Young-Old Adults: Differential Associations Across Family, Friend, and Spouse Domains. Psychology and Aging, 29(1), 28-43.
- Smith,Jacqui; Ryan,Lindsay H.; Queen,T. L.; Becker,S. and Gonzalez,R. (2014). Snapshots of Mixtures of Affective Experiences in a Day: Findings from the Health and Retirement Study. Journal of Population Ageing, 7(1), 55-79.
- Queen,T. L.; Stawski,Robert S.; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Smith,Jacqui (2014). Loneliness in a Day: Activity Engagement, Time Alone, and Experienced Emotions. Psychology and Aging, 29(2), 297-305.
- Newton,N. J.; Ryan,Lindsay H.; King,R. T. and Smith,Jacqui (2014). Cohort Differences in the Marriage-Health Relationship for Midlife Women. Social Science & Medicine, 116, 64-72.
- Yan,Ting; Ryan,Lindsay H.; Becker,Sandra E. and Smith,Jacqui (2014). Assessing Quality of Answers to a Global Well-being Question through Response Times. Survey Research Methods, 9(101-109).
- Smith,Jacqui; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Röcke,Christina (2013). The Day-to-Day Effects of Conscientiousness on Well-being. Research in Human Development, 10(1), 9-25.
- Ryan,Lindsay H.; Smith,Jacqui and Antonucci,Toni C. (2012). Cohort Differences in the Availability of Informal Caregivers: Are the Boomers at Risk?. The Gerontologist, 52(2), 177-188.
- Infurna,F. J.; Gerstorf,D.; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Smith,Jacqui (2011). Dynamic Links between Memory and Functional Limitations in Old Age: Longitudinal Evidence for Age-Based Structural Dynamics from the AHEAD Study. Psychology and Aging, 26(3), 546-548.
- Ryan,Lindsay H. and Smith,Jacqui (2010). . 29. In Antonucci,Toni C. and Jackson,James S. (Ed.), Life-Course Perspectives on Late Life Health Inequalities. Springer:New York.
- Windsor,Tim D.; Ryan,Lindsay H. and Smith,Jacqui (2009). Individual Well-being in Middle and Older Adulthood: Do Spousal Beliefs Matter?. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 64B(5), 586-596.
- Yu,Fang; Ryan,Lindsay H.; Schaie,K. W.; Willis,Sherry L. and Kolanowski,Ann (2009). Factors Associated with Cognition in Adults: The Seattle Longitudinal Study. Research in Nursing & Health, 32(5), 540-550.