Research Scientist Emerita, Population Studies-Administration and Research Scientist Emerita, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Ofstedal is a demographer whose work focuses on population aging. She is a Research Scientist at the Institute for Social Research, where she serves as a Co-Investigator and Associate Director on the Health and Retirement Study. Her research interests include intergenerational relations and support, the connections between socioeconomic status and health, transitions in health and functioning in old-age, utilization of health and long-term care services, methodological issues relating to panel surveys, and comparative research.
- Zimmer, Zachary; Jagger, Carol; Chiu, Chi-Tsun; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Rojo, Florencia and Saito, Yasuhiko (2016). Spirituality, Religiosity, Aging and Health in Global Perspective: A Review. Social Science and Medicine: Population Health, 2, 373-381.
- Cernat, Alexandru; Couper, Mick P. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2016). Estimation of Mode Effects in the Health and Retirement Study using Measurement Models. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology, 4(4), 501-524.
- Wagner, James; Arrieta, Jennifer; Guyer, Heidi and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2014). Does Sequence Matter in Multimode Surveys: Results from an Experiment. Field Methods, 26(2), 141-155.
- Sakshaug, J.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Guyer, H. and Beeb, T. (2014). The Collection of Biomarkers in Health Surveys. (Chpt 15), 383-420. In Johnson,Timothy (Ed.), Handbook of Health Survey Methods. John Wiley & Sons:New Jersey.
- Sonnega, Amanda J.; Faul, Jessica D.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Langa, Kenneth M.; Phillips, J. W. and Weir, David R. (2014). Cohort Profile: The Health and Retirement Study (HRS). International Journal of Epidemiology, 43(2), 576-585.
- Jenkins, Kristi R. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2014). The Association between Socioeconomic Status and Cardiovascular Risk Factors among Middle-Aged and Older Men and Women. Women & Health, 54(1), 15-34.
- Couper, Mick P.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth and Lee, Sunghee (2013). Encouraging Record use for Financial Asset Questions in a Web Survey. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology, 1(2), 171-182.
- Sakshaug, Joseph W.; Couper, Mick P.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth and Weir, David R. (2012). Linking Survey and Administrative Records: Mechanisms of Consent. Sociological Methods & Research, 41(4), 535-569.
- Ofstedal, Mary Beth and Weir, David R. (2011). Recruitment and Retention of Minority Participants in the Health and Retirement Study. The Gerontologist, 51(suppl_1), S8-20.
- Cheshire, Hayley; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Scholes, Shaun and Schroder, Mathis (2011). A Comparison of Response Rates in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing and the Health and Retirement Study. Longitudinal and Life Course Studies, 2(2), 127-144.
- Chiu, C. J.; Wray, L. A. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2011). Diabetes-Related Change in Physical Disability from Midlife to Older Adulthood: Evidence from 1996-2003 Survey of Health and Living Status of the Elderly in Taiwan. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 91(3), 413-423.
- Schoeni, Robert F. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2010). Key Themes in Research on the Demography of Aging. Demography, 47(1), S5-S15.
- Sakshaug, Joseph W.; Couper, Mick P. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2010). Characteristics of Physical Measurement Consent in a Population-Based Survey of Older Adults. Medical Care, 48(1), 64-71.
- Liang, Jersey; Quinones, Ana R.; Bennett, Joan M.; Ye, Wen; Xu, Xiao; Shaw, Benjamin A. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2010). Evolving Self-Rated Health in Middle and Old Age: How does it Differ Across Black, Hispanic, and White Americans?. Journal of Aging and Health, 22(1), 3-26.
- Couper, Mick P. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2009). . 183. In Lynn,Peter (Ed.), Methodology of Longitudinal Surveys. John Wiley & Sons:Chichester, UK.
- Hermalin, Albert I.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Sun, C. and Liu, I. W. (2009). Nativity Differentials in Older Age Mortality in Taiwan: Do they Exist and Why?. Taiwan Journal of Population Studies, 39, Jan-58.
- Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2009). . In Carr,Deborah S. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development. Macmillan Reference USA:Detroit.
- Cigolle, Christine T.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Tian, Zhiyi and Blaum, Caroline S. (2009). Comparing Models of Frailty: The Health and Retirement Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 57(5), 830-839.
- Wong, Rebeca; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Yount, Kathryn and Agree, Emily (2008). Unhealthy Lifestyles among Older Adults: Exploring Transitions in Mexico and the US. European Journal of Ageing, 5(4), 311-326.
- Plassman, B.; Langa, Kenneth M.; Fisher, Gwenith G.; Heeringa, Steven G.; Weir, David R.; Ofstedal, Mary Beth; Burke, J.; Hurd, M.; Potter, G.; Rodgers, Willard L.; Steffens, D.; McArdle, J.; Willis, Robert J. and Wallace, R. (2008). Prevalence of Cognitive Impairment without Dementia in the United States. Annals of Internal Medicine, 148(6), 427-434.
- Liang, Jersey; Bennett, J.; Shaw, B.; Quiñones, A.; Ye, W.; Xu, X. and Ofstedal, Mary Beth (2008). Gender Differences in Functional Status in Middle and Older Age: Are there any Age Variations?. The Journals of Gerontology, 63B(5), S282-S292.