Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research and Adjunct Lecturer in Epidemiology, School of Public Health
Dr. Meier’s research focuses on biosocial approaches to health inequalities and aging. She is an epidemiologist and uses a life course framework to understand the molecular pathways by which social and environmental exposures occurring throughout life get “under the skin” to affect adult and later life health. Dr. Meier is specifically interested in the biology of immune aging and immunological dysfunction as key factors in the aging process. Dr. Meier investigates health and health inequities using a multi-level approach from biomarkers to structural drivers.
- Emily E. Lynch, Lorraine Halinka Malcoe, Sarah E. Laurent, Jason Richardson, Bruce C. Mitchell, Meier,Helen Carmon Spink. 2021. The legacy of structural racism: Associations between historic redlining, current mortgage lending, and health. SSM - Population Health 14:100793.
- Simanek, Amanda M., Meier,Helen Carmon Spink, Aimee A. D’Aloisio, Sandler, Dale P.. 2021. Objective and subjective childhood socioeconomic disadvantage and incident depression in adulthood: a longitudinal analysis in the Sister Study. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 56(7):1201-1210.
- MohammadShoeb, Meier,Helen Carmon Spink, James M.Antonini. 2021. Telomeres in toxicology: Occupational health. Pharmacology & Therapeutics 220:107742.
- Grace Noppert, Feinstein, Lydia, Dowd, Jennifer B., Stebbins, Rebecca C., Zang, Emma, Needham, Belinda L., Meier,Helen Carmon Spink, Simanek, Amanda, Aiello, Allison E.. 2020. Pathogen burden and leukocyte telomere length in the United States. Immunity & Ageing 17:Article 36.
- Chesley, Noelle, Meier,Helen Carmon Spink, Luo, Jake, Apchemengich, Immaculate, Davies, W. Hobart. 2020. Social factors shaping the adoption of lead-filtering point-of-use systems: an observational study of an MTurk sample. Journal of Water and Health 18(4):505-521.
- Meier,Helen Carmon Spink, Dale P. Sandler, Eleanor M. Simonsick, Nan-ping Weng, Christine G. Parks. 2020. Sex differences in the association between antinuclear antibody positivity with diabetes and multimorbidity in older adults: Results from the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging. Experimental Gerontology 135:110906.
- Emily E. Lynch, Meier,Helen Carmon Spink. 2020. The intersectional effect of poverty, home ownership, and racial/ethnic composition on mean childhood blood lead levels in Milwaukee County neighborhoods. PLOS ONE 15(6):e0234995.