Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Hu is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Demography of Aging, Disability and Care Program within the Survey Research Center. She received her Ph.D. in Survey Methodology at the University of Michigan in 2018. Her current research interests include the identification and reduction of measurement errors in cross-cultural surveys, survey non-response, longitudinal survey data analysis, and methodological issues that arise in survey research with older populations.
- Olivia J. Killeen, Lindsey B. De Lott, Yunshu Zhou, Mengyao Hu, David Rein, Nicholas Reed, Bonnielin K. Swenor, Josh Ehrlich. 2023. Population Prevalence of Vision Impairment in US Adults 71 Years and Older: The National Health and Aging Trends Study. JAMA Ophthalmology
- Mengyao Hu, Sunghee Lee, Hongwei Xu, Roberto Melipillán, Jacqui Smith, Arie Kapteyn. 2022. Improving Anchoring Vignette Methodology in Health Surveys with Image Vignettes. methods, data, analyses
- Josh Ehrlich, Mengyao Hu, Zhou, Yunshu, Kai, Rohan, De Lott, Lindsey B. 2022. Visual Difficulty, Race and Ethnicity, and Activity Limitation Trajectories Among Older Adults in the United States: Findings From the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 77(Supplement_1):S39-S50.
- Mengyao Hu, Vicki A Freedman, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Lewis, Nora. 2022. Shared Care Networks Assisting Older Adults: New Insights from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Gerontologist
- Vicki A Freedman, Mengyao Hu, Kasper, Judith D. 2022. Changes in Older Adults’ Social Contact During the COVID-19 Pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B 77(7):e160-e166.
- De Lott, Lindsey B, Kolli, Ajay, Zhou, Yunshu, Mengyao Hu, Josh Ehrlich. 2021. Development and Validation of a Novel Indicator of Visual Disability in the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Innovation in Aging 5(2):igab018.
- Mengyao Hu, Vicki A Freedman, Josh Ehrlich, Reed, Nicholas S, Billington, Catherine, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Collecting Objective Measures of Visual and Auditory Function in a National in-Home Survey of Older Adults. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(2):309-334.
- Dong Xu, Jay Pan, Xiaochen Dai, Mengyao Hu, Yiyuan Cai, Hua He, Yaoguang Zhang, Jing Liao, Yaolong Chen, Wenjie Gong, Zhongliang Zhou, Nan Zhang, Xiaohui Wang, Kwun Chuen Gary Chan, Xiaohua YING, Yue Cai, Ruixin Wang, Qingping Xue, Chi-Man (Winnie) Yip. 2021. Comparing quality of primary healthcare between public and private providers in China: study protocol of a cross-sectional study using unannounced standardised patients in seven provinces of China. BMJ Open 11:e040792.
- Jacqui Smith, Mengyao Hu, Lee,Haena. 2021. Measuring Life Course Events and Life Histories. Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences, 9th Edition
- Vicki A Freedman, Mengyao Hu, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Changes in older adultsâ social contact during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Dong Roman Xu, Mengyao Hu, Wenjun He, Jing Liao, Yiyuan Cai, Sean Sylvia, Kara Hanson, Yaolong Chen, Jay Pan, Zhongliang Zhou, Nan Zhang, Chengxiang Tang, Xiaohui Wang, Scott Rozelle, Hua He, Hong Wang, Gary Chan, Edmundo Roberto Melipillán, Wei Zhou, Wenjie Gong. 2021. Assessing the quality of primary healthcare in seven Chinese provinces with unannounced standardised patients: protocol of a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open 9(2):e023997.
- Mengyao Hu, John A. Kirlin, Brady Thomas West, Wenyi He, Ai Rene Ong, Shiyu Zhang, Xingyou Zhang. 2020. Estimation of Underreporting in Diary Surveys: An Application using the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 8(5):877-902.
- Mengyao Hu, Edmundo Roberto Melipillán, Brady Thomas West, John A. Kirlin, Ilse Paniagua. 2020. Response Patterns in a Multi-day Diary Survey: Implications for Adaptive Survey Design. Survey Research Methods 14(3):289-300.
- Sunghee Lee, Mengyao Hu, Mingnan Liu, Kelley, Jennifer. 2020. Quantitative Evaluation of Response Scale Translation Through a Randomized Experiment of Interview Language With Bilingual English- and Spanish-Speaking Latino Respondents. The Essential Role of Language in Survey Research :75-100.
- Ai Rene Ong, Mengyao Hu, Brady Thomas West, Kirlin, John A. 2018. Interviewer effects in food acquisition surveys. Public health nutrition 21(10):1781-1793.
- Mengyao Hu, Sunghee Lee, Xu, Hongwei. 2018. Using Anchoring Vignettes to Correct for Differential Response Scale Usage in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods: Multinational, Multiregional, and Multicultural Contexts (3MC) :181-201.
- Yan,Ting, Mengyao Hu. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondents' Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods :501-518.
- Yan,Ting, Mengyao Hu. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondentsâ Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods :501-518.
- Yan,Ting, Mengyao Hu. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondentsâ Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods: Multinational, Multiregional, and Multicultural Contexts (3MC) :501-520.
- Mengyao Hu, Gremel, Garrett W, Kirlin, John A, Brady Thomas West. 2017. Nonresponse and Underreporting Errors Increase over the Data Collection Week Based on Paradata from the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. The Journal of nutrition 147(5):964-975.
- Sunghee Lee, Mingnan Liu, Mengyao Hu. 2017. Relationship Between Future Time Orientation and Item Nonresponse on Subjective Probability Questions: A Cross-Cultural Analysis. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 48(5):698-717.