Assistant Research Scientist, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Hu is an Assistant Research Scientist in the Demography of Aging, Disability and Care Program within the Survey Research Center. She received her Ph.D. in Survey Methodology at the University of Michigan in 2018. Her current research interests include the identification and reduction of measurement errors in cross-cultural surveys, survey non-response, longitudinal survey data analysis, and methodological issues that arise in survey research with older populations.
- De Lott, Lindsey B, Kolli, Ajay, Zhou, Yunshu, Hu,Mengyao, Josh Ehrlich. 2021. Development and Validation of a Novel Indicator of Visual Disability in the National Health and Aging Trends Study. Innovation in Aging
- Hu,Mengyao, Freedman,Vicki A, Josh Ehrlich, Reed, Nicholas S, Billington, Catherine, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Collecting Objective Measures of Visual and Auditory Function in a National in-Home Survey of Older Adults. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(2):309-334.
- Dong Xu, Jay Pan, Xiaochen Dai, Hu,Mengyao, Yiyuan Cai, Hua He, Yaoguang Zhang, Jing Liao, Yaolong Chen, Wenjie Gong, Zhongliang Zhou, Nan Zhang, Xiaohui Wang, Kwun Chuen Gary Chan, Xiaohua YING, Yue Cai, Ruixin Wang, Qingping Xue, Chi-Man (Winnie) Yip. 2021. Comparing quality of primary healthcare between public and private providers in China: study protocol of a cross-sectional study using unannounced standardised patients in seven provinces of China. BMJ Open 11:e040792.
- Jacqui Smith, Hu,Mengyao, Private: Lee,Haena. 2021. Measuring Life Course Events and Life Histories. Handbook of Aging and the Social Sciences, 9th Edition
- Freedman,Vicki A, Hu,Mengyao, Kasper, Judith D. 2021. Changes in older adultsâ social contact during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Dong Roman Xu, Hu,Mengyao, Wenjun He, Jing Liao, Yiyuan Cai, Sean Sylvia, Kara Hanson, Yaolong Chen, Jay Pan, Zhongliang Zhou, Nan Zhang, Chengxiang Tang, Xiaohui Wang, Scott Rozelle, Hua He, Hong Wang, Gary Chan, Edmundo Roberto Melipillán, Wei Zhou, Wenjie Gong. 2021. Assessing the quality of primary healthcare in seven Chinese provinces with unannounced standardised patients: protocol of a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open 9(2):e023997.
- Hu,Mengyao, John A. Kirlin, West,Brady Thomas, Wenyi He, Ai Rene Ong, Zhang,Shiyu, Xingyou Zhang. 2020. Estimation of Underreporting in Diary Surveys: An Application using the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 8(5):877-902.
- Hu,Mengyao, Edmundo Roberto Melipillán, West,Brady Thomas, John A. Kirlin, Ilse Paniagua. 2020. Response Patterns in a Multi-day Diary Survey: Implications for Adaptive Survey Design. Survey Research Methods 14(3):289-300.
- Lee,Sunghee, Hu,Mengyao, Mingnan Liu, Private: Kelley, Jennifer. 2020. Quantitative Evaluation of Response Scale Translation Through a Randomized Experiment of Interview Language With Bilingual English- and Spanish-Speaking Latino Respondents. The Essential Role of Language in Survey Research :75-100.
- Ong,Ai Rene, Hu,Mengyao, West,Brady Thomas, Kirlin, John A. 2018. Interviewer effects in food acquisition surveys. Public health nutrition 21(10):1781-1793.
- Hu,Mengyao, Lee,Sunghee, Private: Xu, Hongwei. 2018. Using Anchoring Vignettes to Correct for Differential Response Scale Usage in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods: Multinational, Multiregional, and Multicultural Contexts (3MC) :181-201.
- Yan,Ting, Hu,Mengyao. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondents' Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods :501-518.
- Yan,Ting, Hu,Mengyao. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondentsâ Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods :501-518.
- Yan,Ting, Hu,Mengyao. 2018. Examining Translation and Respondentsâ Use of Response Scales in 3MC Surveys. Advances in Comparative Survey Methods: Multinational, Multiregional, and Multicultural Contexts (3MC) :501-520.
- Hu,Mengyao, Gremel, Garrett W, Kirlin, John A, West,Brady Thomas. 2017. Nonresponse and Underreporting Errors Increase over the Data Collection Week Based on Paradata from the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey. The Journal of nutrition 147(5):964-975.
- Lee,Sunghee, Mingnan Liu, Hu,Mengyao. 2017. Relationship Between Future Time Orientation and Item Nonresponse on Subjective Probability Questions: A Cross-Cultural Analysis. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 48(5):698-717.