Professor Emeritus of Communication Studies, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Research Professor Emeritus, Center for Political Studies and Adjunct Research Professor, Center for Political Studies, Institute for Social Research
Professor Traugott studies the mass media and their impact on American politics. This includes research on the use of the media by candidates in their campaigns and its impact on voters, as well as the ways that campaigns are covered and the impact of this coverage on candidates. He has a particular interest in the use of surveys and polls and the way news organizations employ them to cover campaigns and elections
- Traugott, Michael W, Lavrakas, P J, Kennedy, C , de Leeuw, E D, Holbrook, A . 2019. Experimental Methods in Survey Research: Techniques that Combine Random Sampling with Random Assignment.
- Pasek, Josh, Traugott, Michael W, Kuru, Ozan . 2019. When Polls Disagree: How Competitive Results and Methodological Quality Shape Partisan Perceptions of Polls and Electoral Predictions. International Journal of Public Opinion Research
- Traugott, Michael W, Lavrakas, Paul J, Miller, Peter V. 2019. Presidential Polls and the News Media. :243.
- Traugott, Michael W. 2019. Cyberwar: How Russian Hackers and Trolls Helped Elect a President-What We Don't, Can't, and Do Know. Public Opinion Quarterly 83(1):166-168.
- Traugott, Michael W, Jardina, Ashley . 2019. The Genesis of the Birther Rumor: Partisanship, Racial Attitudes, and Political Knowledge. Journal of Race, Ethnicity and Politics 4(1):60-80.
- West, Brady Thomas, Traugott, Michael W, Lavrakas, Paul J, Kennedy, Courtney , Leeuw, Edith D. de, Holbrook, Allyson L. 2019. Probability Survey-Based Experimentation and the Balancing of Internal and External Validity Concerns. Experimental Methods in Survey Research :1-18.
- Pasek, Josh, Traugott, Michael W, Kuru, Ozan . 2017. Motivated Reasoning in the Perceived Credibility of Public Opinion Polls. Public Opinion Quarterly 81(2):422-446.
- Traugott, Michael W. 2014. Public Opinion Polls and Election Forecasting. PS: Political Science & Politics 47(2):342-344.
- Traugott, Michael W. 2014. New Directions in Presidential-Election Research. Public Opinion Quarterly 78(S1):201-203.
- Traugott, Michael W. 2011. Prospects for Pre-election Polls in the Early 2012 Presidential Primaries. Survey Practice 4(6)
- Traugott, Michael W, Conrad, Frederick G, Hanmer, Michael J, Park, Won-Ho , Niemi, Richard G, Herrnson, Paul S, Bederson, Benjamin B. 2010. Losing Fewer Votes: The Impact of Changing Voting Systems on Residual Votes. Political Research Quarterly 63(1):129-142.
- Conrad, Frederick G, Traugott, Michael W, Bederson, Benjamin B, Lewis, Brian , Peytcheva, Emilia , Hanmer, Michael J, Herrnson, Paul S, Niemi, Richard G. 2009. Electronic voting eliminates hanging chads but introduces new usability challenges. International journal of human-computer studies 67(1):111-124.
- Conrad, Frederick G, Traugott, Michael W, Herrnson, Paul S, Niemi, R G, Hammer, M J, Bederson, B B. 2008. Voting technology : the not-so-simple act of casting a ballot. :215.
- Conrad, Frederick G, Traugott, Michael W, Herrnson, Paul S, Niemi, Richard G, Hanmer, Michael J, Francia, Peter L, Bederson, Benjamin B. 2008. Voters' Evaluations of Electronic Voting Systems: Results From a Usability Field Study. American Politics Research 36(4):580-611.
- Conrad, Frederick G, Traugott, Michael W, Herrnson, P S, Bederson, B B, Lee, B , Francia, P L, Sherman, R M, Niemi, R G. 2005. Early Appraisals of Electronic Voting. Social Science Computer Review 23:274-292.
- Traugott, Michael W, Brader, Ted, Curtin, Richard T, Jackson, James Sidney, Kinder, Donald R, Shapiro, Matthew D, Tessler, Mark A, Weir, David R, Willis, Robert J, Featherman, David, Groves, Robert M., Hill, Martha Scott, Juster, F. Thomas, Kahn, Robert L., Pennell, Beth-Ellen, Coral, Deborah A, Kennedy, C . 2002. How Americans Responded: A Study of Public Reactions to 9/11/01. PS-Political Science & Politics 35(3):511-516.
- Traugott, Michael W, Lamias, Mark J. 2001. Web Survey Design and Administration. Public Opinion Quarterly 65(2):230-253.
- Traugott, Michael W, McGonagle, Katherine A, Belli, Robert F, Young, Margaret . 1999. Reducing Vote Overreporting in Surveys: Social Desirablity, Memory Failure, and Source Monitoring. Public opinion quarterly 63(1):90-108.