Research Professor, Population Studies Center and Research Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Narayan Sastry is a Research Professor in the Survey Research Center and the Population Studies Center at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research. He is also an Adjunct Senior Social Scientist at the RAND Corporation. Sastry has been at the University of Michigan since 2006.
Sastry’s research interests center on studying the social and spatial dimensions of health, development, and well-being of children and adolescents, both in the United States and in less developed countries.
Sastry serves as an Associate Director of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID), and he directs the PSID Child Development Supplement (PSID-CDS) and the PSID Transition into Adulthood Supplement (PSID-TAS). He is the Co-Director of the Los Angeles Family and Neighborhood Survey (L.A.FANS). Sastry is also the Director of the Displaced New Orleans Residents Survey (DNORS) that was designed to study the long-term demographic effects of Hurricane Katrina on the pre-storm population of New Orleans.
- A New Public Data Archive for the PSID Child Development Supplement
- Children’s Health and Migration
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2012 – 2016
- Continuity and Change in American Economic and Social Life: The PSID 2017 – 2020
- Family Complexity, Resources, and the Transition to Adulthood
- Family Dynamics, Fertility, and Investments in Children Across Generations
- PSID, CDS, and TA: Data Enhancements and User Training, Support, and Outreach
- Transition to Adulthood within its Life Course & Intergenerational Family Context
- Transitions from Preschool through High School: Family, Schools & Neighborhoods
- Understanding the interplay of genes and environments in U.S. families to improve child health: Evidence from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics
- Narayan Sastry, Fomby,Paula, McGonagle,Katherine A. 2021. Effects on Core Panel Attrition and Fieldwork Outcomes from Selection for a Supplemental Study: Evidence from the Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Advances in Longitudinal Survey Methodology :74-99.
- McGonagle,Katherine A, Narayan Sastry. 2021. An Experimental Evaluation of an Online Interview Scheduler: Effects on Fieldwork Outcomes. Journal of Survey Statistics and Methodology 9(3):412-428.
- Narayan Sastry, McGonagle,Katherine A, Fomby,Paula. 2020. Effects of the COVID-19 Crisis on Survey Fieldwork: Experience and Lessons From Two Major Supplements to the U.S. Panel Study of Income Dynamics. Survey Research Methods 14(2):241-245.
- Robert Bozick, Narayan Sastry, Airan Liu. 2020. Health in Early Adolescence and Paid Employment. Youth & Society
- Narayan Sastry, Gregory, Jesse . 2020. Returning to New Orleans in the Year after Hurricane Katrina: Disparities by Race and the Effects of Flooding. PSC Research Report Series (No. 20-896.)
- Fomby,Paula, Narayan Sastry. 2019. Data Collection on Sensitive Topics with Adolescents Using Interactive Voice Response Technology. methods, data, analyses 13(1)
- Narayan Sastry, Schickedanz, Adam B, Escarce, José J, Halfon, Neal , Chung, Paul J. 2019. Adverse Childhood Experiences and Household Out-of-Pocket Healthcare Costs. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 56(5):698-707.
- Narayan Sastry, Fomby,Paula, McGonagle,Katherine A. 2018. Using the Panel Study of Income Dynamics (PSID) to Conduct Life Course Health Development Analysis. Handbook of Life Course Health Development :579-599.
- Narayan Sastry, Hicks, Andrew L, Handcock, Mark S, Pebley, Anne R. 2018. Sequential Neighborhood Effects: The Effect of Long-Term Exposure to Concentrated Disadvantage on Children's Reading and Math Test Scores. Demography 55(1):1-31.
- Narayan Sastry, Schickedanz, Adam , Halfon, Neal , Chung, Paul J. 2018. ParentsÃ Adverse Childhood Experiences and Their ChildrenÃs Behavioral Health Problems. Pediatrics 142(2):e20180023.
- Johnson,David Scott, McGonagle,Katherine A, Freedman,Vicki A, Narayan Sastry. 2018. Fifty Years of the Panel Study of Income Dynamics: Past, Present, and Future. The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 680(1):9-28.
- Andrew L. Hicks, Mark S. Handcock, Narayan Sastry, Anne R. Pebley. 2018. Sequential Neighborhood Effects: The Effect of Long-Term Exposure to Concentrated Disadvantage on Childrenâs Reading and Math Test Scores. Demography 55(1):1-31.
- Adam Schickedanz, Neal Halfon, Narayan Sastry, Paul J. Chung. 2018. Parentsâ Adverse Childhood Experiences and Their Childrenâs Behavioral Health Problems. Pediatrics 142(2):e20180023.
- Fomby,Paula, Narayan Sastry, McGonagle,Katherine A. 2017. Effectiveness of a Time-limited Incentive on Participation by Hard-to-reach Respondents in a Panel Study. Field Methods 29(3):238-251.
- McGonagle,Katherine A, Narayan Sastry. 2015. Cohort Profile: The Panel Study of Income Dynamicsâ Child Development Supplement and Transition into Adulthood Study. International journal of epidemiology 44(2):415-422.
- Narayan Sastry. 2012. Neighborhood Effects on Childrenâs Achievement: A Review of Recent Research. The Oxford Handbook of Poverty and Child Development :423-477.
- Narayan Sastry, A. R. Pebley. 2010. Family and neighborhood sources of socioeconomic inequality in childrenâs achievement. Demography 47(3):777-800.
- Anne R. Pebley, Narayan Sastry. 2008. Neighborhoods, poverty and childrenâs well-being: A review. Social stratification : class, race, and gender in sociological perspective :360.
- A. Weathers, S. Novak, Narayan Sastry, E. Norton. 2008. Parental Nativity Affects Childrenâs Health and Access to Care. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 10(2):155-165.
- Anne R. Pebley, Narayan Sastry. 2007. Neighborhoods, poverty, and childrenâs well-being. The inequality reader: contemporary and foundational readings in race, class, and gender 165-178:165-178.
- Julia C. Prentice, Anne R. Pebley, Narayan Sastry. 2006. Authors respond to âCollection of legal status information: Cautionâ. American Journal of Public Health 96(3):399-400.
- Anne R. Pebley, Narayan Sastry. 2004. Neighborhoods, Poverty and Childrenâs Well-being: A Review. Social Inequality :119.
- Narayan Sastry. 2002. Urbanization, development and under-five mortality differentials by place of residence in SÃ£o Brazil, 1970-1991. Demographic Research, Special Collection 2 :355-386.