Professor of Psychology, College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Research Professor, Survey Research Center and Research Professor, Research Center for Group Dynamics, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Davis-Kean’s research continues to evolve as she seeks the various pathways that socio-economic status (SES) of parents relates to the outcomes of their children. Davis-Kean’s primary focus is on parental educational attainment and how it can influence the development of the home environment throughout childhood, adolescence, and the transition to adulthood. Achievement is the primary outcome that she studies and she is an expert in the use of standardized test with children as well as using any type of assessment with young children. Davis-Kean stresses the importance of doing quality psychological research through the use of replication methods and large scale data sets. Students who seek to work with her should be willing and excited to learn advanced longitudinal statistics and think deeply about the how children develop within contexts.
- Olson, Sheryl L.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Chen, Meichu; Lansford, Jennifer E.; Bates, John E.; Pettit, Gregory S. and Dodge, Kenneth A. (2018). Mapping the Growth of Heterogeneous Forms of Externalizing Problem Behavior between Early Childhood and Adolescence: A Comparison of Parent and Teacher Ratings. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.
- Williams-Butler, Abigail; Ryan, Joseph P.; McLoyd, Vonnie C.; Schulenberg, John E. and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2018). Relational Permanence and Psychological Well-being among African American Adolescents in Foster Care. Journal of Child and Family Studies.
- Ellis, A.; Hu, X.; Smith, C. E.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Kovelman, I. (2018). Sharing as a Model for Understanding Division. Neuroreport, 29(11), 889-893.
- Nazroo, James; Zilanawala, Afshin; Chen, Meichu; Bécares, Laia; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Jackson, James S.; Kelly, Yvonne; Panico, Lidia and Sacker, Amanda (2018). Socioemotional Wellbeing of Mixed race/ethnicity Children in the UK and US: Patterns and Mechanisms. SSM - Population Health.
- Ahmed, Sammy F.; Tang, Sandra; Waters, Nicholas E. and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2018). Executive Function and Academic Achievement: Longitudinal Relations from Early Childhood to Adolescence. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Williams, Abigail B.; Ryan, Joseph P.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; McLoyd, Vonnie C. and Schulenberg, John E. (2017). The Discontinuity of Offending among African American Youth in the Juvenile Justice System. Youth & Society, 49(5), 610 - 633.
- Roach, Elizabeth; Viechnicki, Gail B.; Retzloff, Lauren B.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Lumeng, Julie C. and Miller, Alison L. (2017). Family Food Talk, Child Eating Behavior, and Maternal Feeding Practices. Appetite, 117, 40-50.
- Kramer, Michael R.; Schneider, Eric B.; Kane, Jennifer B.; Margerison-Zilko, Claire; Jones-Smith, Jessica; King, Katherine; Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Grzywacz, Joseph G. (2017). Getting Under the Skin: Children’s Health Disparities as Embodiment of Social Class. Population Research and Policy Review, 48(5), 698-717.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Jager, Justin (2017). From Small to Big: Methods for Incorporating Large Scale Data into Developmental Science. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 82(2), 31-45.
- Susperreguy, Maria I.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Duckworth, Kathryn and Chen, Meichu (2017). Self-Concept Predicts Academic Achievement Across Levels of the Achievement Distribution: Domain Specificity for Math and Reading. Child Development.
- Tang, Sandra; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Chen, Meichu and Sexton, Holly R. (2016). Adolescent Pregnancy’s Intergenerational Effects: Does an Adolescent Mother’s Education have Consequences for Her Children’s Achievement?. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 26(1), 180-193.
- Crosnoe, Robert; Purtell, Kelly M.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Ansari, Arya and Benner, Aprile D. (2016). The Selection of Children from Low-Income Families into Preschool. Developmental Psychology, 52(4), 599-612.
- Crosnoe, Robert; Benner, Aprile D. and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2016). Preschool Enrollment, Classroom Instruction, Elementary School Context, and the Reading Achievement of Children from Low-Income Families. Family Environments, School Resources, and Educational Outcomes, 19-47. In Kao,Grace and Park,Hyunjoon (Ed.), Family Environments, School Resources, and Educational Outcomes (Research in the Sociology of Education, Volume 19). Emerald Group Publishing Limited:Bingley, UK.
- Trentacosta, Christopher J.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Mitchell, Colter M.; Hyde, Luke and Dolinoy, Dana (2016). Environmental Contaminants and Child Development. Child Development Perspectives, 10(4), 228-233.
- Susperreguy, Maria I. and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2016). Maternal Math Talk in the Home and Math Skills in Preschool Children. Early Education and Development, 27, 841-857.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Tang, Sandra (2015). Parenting with Digital Devices. Emerging Trends in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.:Hoboken, NJ.
- Zilanawala, A.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Nazroo, J.; Sacker, A.; Simonton, S. and Kelly, Y. (2015). Race/ethnic Disparities in Early Childhood BMI, Obesity and Overweight in the United Kingdom and United States. International Journal of Obesity, 39(3), 520-529.
- Tang, Sandra and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2015). The Association of Punitive Parenting Practices and Adolescent Achievement. Journal of Family Psychology, 29(6), 873-883.
- Susperreguy, Maria-Ines and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2015). Socialization of Maths in the Home Environment: Using Voice Recordings to Study Maths Talk / Socialización De Matemáticas En El Hogar: Uso De Grabaciones De Voz Para Estudiar Conversaciones Matemáticas. Estudios De Psicología, 36(3), 643-655.
- Watts, Tyler W.; Duncan, Greg J.; Chen, Meichu; Claessens, Amy; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Duckworth, Kathryn; Engel, Mimi; Siegler, Robert and Susperreguy, Maria I. (2015). The Role of Mediators in the Development of Longitudinal Mathematics Achievement Associations. Child Development, 86(6), 1892-1907.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Jager, Justin and Maslowsky, Julie (2015). Answering Developmental Questions using Secondary Data. Child Development Perspectives, 9(4), 256-261.
- Watts, Tyler W.; Duncan, Greg J.; Siegler, Robert S. and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2014). What’s Past is Prologue: Relations between Early Mathematics Knowledge and High School Achievement. Educational Researcher, 43(7), 352-360.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Jager, Justin (2014). Trajectories of Achievement within Race/Ethnicity: “Catching Up” in Achievement Across Time. The Journal of Educational Research, 107(3), 197-208.
- Olson, S. L.; Sameroff, A. J.; Lansford, J. E.; Sexton, H.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Bates, J. E.; Pettit, G. S. and Dodge, K. A. (2013). Deconstructing the Externalizing Spectrum: Growth Patterns of Overt Aggression, Covert Aggression, Oppositional Behavior, impulsivity/inattention, and Emotion Dysregulation between School Entry and Early Adolescence. Development and Psychopathology, 25(3), 817-842.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Mendoza, C. and Susperreguy, Maria I. (2012). . 55-76. In Karabenick,S. A. and Urdan,T. C. (Ed.), Transitions Across Schools and Cultures: Advances in Motivation and Achievement, Vol 17.. Emerald:Bingley, U.K..
- Siegler, Robert S.; Duncan, Greg J.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Duckworth, Kathryn; Claessens, Amy; Engel, Mimi; Susperreguy, Maria I. and Chen, Meichu (2012). Early Predictors of High School Mathematics Achievement. Psychological Science, 23(7), 691-697.
- Gershoff, Elizabeth T.; Lansford, Jennifer E.; Sexton, Holly R.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Sameroff, Arnold J. (2012). Longitudinal Links between Spanking and Children’s Externalizing Behaviors in a National Sample of White, Black, Hispanic, and Asian American Families. Child Development, 83(3), 838-843.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2011). . 148-162. In Laursen,Brett; Little,Todd and Card,Noel (Ed.), Handbook of Developmental Research Methods. Guilford Press:New York.
- Jager, Justin and Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2011). Same-Sex Sexuality and Adolescent Psychological Well-being: The Influence of Sexual Orientation, Early Reports of Same-Sex Attraction, and Gender. Self and Identity, 10(4), 417-444.
- Pettit, Gregory S.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Magnuson, Katherine (2009). Educational Attainment in Developmental Perspective: Longitudinal Analyses of Continuity, Change, and Process. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 55(3), 217-223.
- Magnuson, Katherine A.; Sexton, Holly R.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Huston, Aletha C. (2009). Increases in Maternal Education and Young Children’s Language Skills. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 55(3), 319-350.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. and Sexton, Holly R. (2009). Race Differences in Parental Influences on Child Achievement: Multiple Pathways to Success. Merrill-Palmer Quarterly, 55(3), 285-318.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Jager, Justin and Andrew Collins, W. (2009). The Self in Action: An Emerging Link between Self-Beliefs and Behaviors in Middle Childhood. Child Development Perspectives, 3(3), 184-188.
- Davis-Kean, Pamela E. (2008). . 416-421. In Leong,Fredrick T. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Counseling. Vol 2.,Personal and Emotional Counseling. Sage:Thousand Oaks, CA..
- Messersmith, Emily E.; Garrett, Jessica L.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Malanchuk, Oksana and Eccles, Jacquelynne S. (2008). Career Development from Adolescence through Emerging Adulthood: Insights from Information Technology Occupations. Journal of Adolescent Research, 23(2), 206-227.
- Bates, John E.; Collins, W. A.; Davis-Kean, Pamela E.; Huesmann, L. R.; Jager, Justin and Lansford, Jennifer E. (2008). Changes in the Relation of Self-Efficacy Beliefs and Behaviors Across Development. Child Development, 79(5), 1257-1269.