Research Investigator, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Evans-Polce’s research focuses on social and contextual influences on tobacco, alcohol and marijuana use, and gender, racial/ethnic, and socioeconomic disparities in substance use. Her research employs novel statistical methods to understand the complexity and dynamic nature of social and behavioral influences on substance use including time-varying effect models, latent class analysis, and causal inference. Dr. Evans-Polce earned her Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in 2012.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Lanza,Stephanie and Maggs,Jennifer (2016). Heterogeneity of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Substance use Behaviors in US College Students: A Latent Class Analysis. Addictive Behaviors, 53, 80-85.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J. and Schuler,Megan S. (2016). Rates of Past-Year Alcohol Treatment Across Two Time Metrics and Differences by Alcohol use Disorder Severity and Mental Health Comorbidities. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 166, 194-201.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Staff,Jeremy and Maggs,Jennifer L. (2016). Alcohol Abstention in Early Adulthood and Premature Mortality: Do Early Life Factors, Social Support, and Health Explain this Association?. Social Science & Medicine, 163, 71-79.
- Staff,Jeremy; Maggs,Jennifer L.; Cundiff,Kelsey and Evans-Polce,Rebecca J. (2016). Childhood Cigarette and Alcohol use: Negative Links with Adjustment. Addictive Behaviors, 62, 122-128.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Castaldelli-Maia,Joao M.; Schomerus,Georg and Evans-Lacko,Sara E. (2015). The Downside of Tobacco Control? Smoking and Self-Stigma: AÂ systematic Review. Social Science & Medicine, 145, 26-34.
- Patrick,Megan E.; Evans-Polce,Rebecca J. and Maggs,Jennifer L. (2015). Use of Alcohol Mixed with Energy Drinks and its Consequences: The Authors Respond. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 76(2), 346-347.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Vasilenko,Sara A. and Lanza,Stephanie T. (2015). Changes in Gender and racial/ethnic Disparities in Rates of Cigarette use, Regular Heavy Episodic Drinking, and Marijuana use: Ages 14 to 32. Addictive Behaviors, 41, 218-222.
- Juon,Hee-Soon; Evans-Polce,Rebecca J. and Ensminger,Margaret (2014). Early Life Conditions of overall and Cause-Specific Mortality among Inner-City African Americans. American Journal of Public Health, 104(3), 548-554.
- Patrick,Megan E.; Evans-Polce,Rebecca J. and Maggs,Jennifer L. (2014). Use of Alcohol Mixed with Energy Drinks as a Predictor of Alcohol-Related Consequences Two Years Later. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 75(5), 753-757.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Doherty,Elaine E. and Ensminger,Margaret E. (2014). Taking a Life Course Approach to Studying Substance use Treatment among a Community Cohort of African American Substance Users. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 142, 216-223.
- Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Hulbert,Alicia and Latkin,Carl (2013). The Association of Multiple Neighborhood Perceptions with Depression among a Highly Impoverished Urban Sample. Journal of Community Psychology, 41(1), 52-64.
- Marrone,Gina F.; Paulpillai,Mane; Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Singleton,Edward G. and Heishman,Stephen J. (2010). Breath Carbon Monoxide and Semiquantitative Saliva Cotinine as Biomarkers for Smoking. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental, 25(1), 80-83.
- Heishman,Stephen J.; Evans-Polce,Rebecca J.; Singleton,Edward G.; Levin,Kenneth H.; Copersino,Marc L. and Gorelick,David A. (2009). Reliability and Validity of a Short Form of the Marijuana Craving Questionnaire. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 102(1-3), 35-40.