Research Professor, Youth and Social Issues, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Miech is a co-Investigator of the NIDA-funded Monitoring the Future study. He received his Ph.D. degree in Sociology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a MPH degree from Johns Hopkins University. His work focuses on trends in substance use, with an emphasis on disentangling how these trends vary by age, historical period, and birth cohort membership. Other research interests include identification of the factors that widen or narrow disparities in substance use over historical time, as well as the causes and consequences of substance use over the life course.
- Miech,Richard A.; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Johnston,Lloyd D. and Patrick,Megan E. (2016). E-Cigarettes and the Drug use Patterns of Adolescents. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 18(5), 654-659.
- Patrick,Megan E.; Miech,Richard A.; Carlier,Carola; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Johnston,Lloyd D. and Schulenberg,John E. (2016). Self-Reported Reasons for Vaping among 8th, 10th, and 12th Graders in the US: Nationally-Representative Results. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 165, 275-278.
- Bauldry,Shawn; Shanahan,Michael J.; Macmillan,Ross; Miech,Richard A.; Boardman,Jason D.; O. Dean,Danielle and Cole,Veronica (2016). Parental and Adolescent Health Behaviors and Pathways to Adulthood. Social Science Research, 58, 227-242.
- Miech,Richard A.; Shanahan,M. J.; Boardman,J. and Bauldry,S. (2015). The Sequencing of a College Degree during the Transition to Adulthood: Implications for Obesity. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 56(2), 281-295.
- Miech,Richard A.; Johnston,Lloyd D.; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Bachman,Jerald G.; Schulenberg,John E. and Patrick,Megan E. (2015). Trends in use of Marijuana and Attitudes Toward Marijuana among Youth before and After Decriminalization: The Case of California 2007â€“2013. International Journal of Drug Policy, 26(4), 336-344.
- Miech,Richard A.; Johnston,Lloyd D.; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Keyes,Katherine M. and Heard,Kennon (2015). Prescription Opioids in Adolescence and Future Opioid Misuse. Pediatrics, 136(5), e1169-e1177.
- Patrick,Megan E.; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Kloska,Deborah D.; Schulenberg,John E.; Johnston,Lloyd D.; Miech,Richard A. and Bachman,Jerald G. (2015). Novel Psychoactive Substance use by US Adolescents: Characteristics Associated with use of Synthetic Cannabinoids and Synthetic Cathinones. Drug and Alcohol Review.
- Keyes,Katherine M.; Jager,Justin; Hamilton,Ava; O'Malley,Patrick M.; Miech,Richard A. and Schulenberg,John E. (2015). National Multi-Cohort Time Trends in Adolescent Risk Preference and the Relation with Substance use and Problem Behavior from 1976 to 2011. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 155, 267-274.
- Miech,Richard A.; Koester,Stephen and Holliman,BrookeDorsey (2013). Towards an Explanation of the Recent Increase in Drug-Related Mortality. 129-149. In Sanders,Bill; Thomas,Yonette F. and Griffin Deeds,Bethany (Ed.), Crime, HIV and Health: Intersections of Criminal Justice and Public Health Concerns. Springer Netherlands:Drodrecht.
- Rogers,Richard G.; Krueger,Patrick M.; Miech,Richard A.; Lawrence,Elizabeth M. and Kemp,Robert (2013). Nondrinker Mortality Risk in the United States. Population Research and Policy Review, 32(3), 325-352.
- Miech,Richard A.; London,Andrew S.; Wilmoth,Janet M. and Koester,Stephen (2013). The Effects of the Military’s Antidrug Policies Over the Life Course: The Case of Past-Year Hallucinogen use. Subst use Misuse, 48(10), 837-853.
- Miech,Richard A.; Bohnert,A. H.,K. and Boardman,J. (2013). Increasing use of Nonmedical Analgesics among Younger Cohorts in the United States: A Birth Cohort Effect. The Journal of Adolescent Health : Official Publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, 52(1), 35-41.
- Keyes,Katherine M. and Miech,Richard A. (2013). Commentary on Dawson Et.Al. (2013): Drink to Your Health? Maybe Not. Addiction, 108(4), 723-724.
- Keyes,K. M. and Miech,Richard A. (2013). Age, Period, and Cohort Effects in Heavy Episodic Drinking in the US from 1985 to 2009. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 132(1/2), 140-148.
- Miech,Richard A. and Koester,Stephen (2012). Trends in U.S., Past-Year Marijuana use from 1985 to 2009: An age “period“cohort Analysis. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 124(3), 259-267.
- Boardman,J. D.; Alexander,K. B.; Miech,Richard A.; Macmillan,R. and Shanahan,Michael,J. (2012). The Association between Parent’s Health and the Educational Attainment of their Children. Social Science & Medicine, 75(5), 932-939.
- Bauldry,Shawn; Shanahan,Michael J.; Boardman,Jason D.; Miech,Richard A. and Macmillan,Ross (2012). A Life Course Model of Self-Rated Health through Adolescence and Young Adulthood. Social Science & Medicine, 75(7), 1311-1320.
- Miech,Richard A.; Pampel,Fred; Kim,Jinyoung and Rogers,Richard G. (2011). The Enduring Association between Education and Mortality: The Role of Widening and Narrowing Disparities. American Sociological Review, 76(56), 913-934.
- Miech,Richard A.; Koester,Steve and Dorsey-Holliman,Brook (2011). Increasing US Mortality due to Accidental Poisoning: The Role of the Baby Boom Cohort. Addiction, 106(4), 806-815.
- Bohnert,A. S. and Miech,Richard A. (2010). Changes in the Association of Drug use with Depressive Disorders in Recent Decades: The Case of Cocaine. Substance use & Misuse, 45(10), 1452-1462.
- Walrath,Christine; Garraza,LucasGodoy; Stephens,Robert; Azur,Melissa; Miech,Richard A. and Leaf,Philip (2009). Trends in Characteristics of Children Served by the Children’s Mental Health Initiative: 1994â€“2007. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 36(6), 361-373.
- Sutin,Angelina R.; Costa,Paul T.; Miech,Richard A. and Eaton,William W. (2009). Personality and Career Success: Concurrent and Longitudinal Relations. European Journal of Personality, 23(2), 71-84.
- Miech,Richard A.; Kim,J.; McConnell,C. and Hamman,Richard,F. (2009). A Growing Disparity in Diabetes-Related Mortality U.S. Trends, 1989-2005. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 36(2), 126-132.
- Kim,J. and Miech,Richard A. (2009). The Black-White Difference in Age Trajectories of Functional Health Over the Life Course. Social Science & Medicine, 36(2), 126-132.
- Miech,Richard A.; Azur,Melissa; Dusablon,Tracy; Jowers,Keri; Goldstein,Amy; Stuart,Elizabeth; Walrath,Christine and Leaf,Philip (2008). The Potential to Reduce Mental Health Disparities through the Comprehensive Community Mental Health Services for Children and their Families Program. The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 35(3), 253-264.
- Miech,Richard A. (2008). The Formation of a Socioeconomic Health Disparity: The Case of Cocaine use during the 1980s and 1990s. Journal of Health & Social Behavior, 49(3), 352-366.
- Link,B. G.; Phelan,J. C.; Miech,Richard A. and Westin,E. L. (2008). The Resources that Matter: Fundamental Social Causes of Health Disparities and the Challenge of Intelligence. Journal of Health & Social Behavior, 49(1), 72-91.
- Miech,Richard A.; Power,Chris and Eaton,William W. (2007). Disparities in Psychological Distress Across Education and Sex: A Longitudinal Analysis of their Persistence within A Cohort Over 19 Years. Annals of Epidemiology, 17(4), 289-295.
- Bevans,K.; Bradshaw,C.; Miech,Richard A. and Leaf,P. (2007). Staff- and School-Level Predictors of School Organizational Health: A Multilevel Analysis. The Journal of School Health, 77(6), 294-302.
- Lin,F. R.; Ceh,K.; Bervinchak,D.; Riley,A.; Miech,Richard A.; Niparko,John,K. and Niparko,J. K. (2007). Development of a Communicative Performance Scale for Pediatric Cochlear Implantation. Ear and Hearing, 28(5), 703-712.