Research Associate Professor, School of Education and Research Associate Professor, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Robin Tepper Jacob is an Associate Research Professor at the Institute for Social Research’s Survey Research Center and the School of Education at the University of Michigan. She has a decade and a half of experience conducting rigorous evaluations of educational interventions, with a special interest in how policies and programs can affect the life trajectories of low-income youth. She has expertise in survey design and implementation, the design and implementation of randomized trials and quasi-experimental methods for program evaluation. Her work in low-income schools has focused on interventions that were designed to target a wide range of outcomes including: school readiness, early literacy skills, mathematics achievement, executive functioning, social-emotional skills and health related outcomes. Before joining the faculty at the University of Michigan, she worked for Abt Associate Inc. in Cambridge, MA where she served as the Deputy Project Director for the Reading First Impact Study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Education. Dr. Jacob earned her Ph.D. in public policy from the University of Chicago.
- Hill, Heather C.; Corey, Douglas L. and Jacob, Robin T. (2018). Dividing by Zero: Exploring Null Results in a Mathematics Professional Development Program. Teacher's College Record, 120(6).
- Jacob, Robin T.; Hill, Heather and Corey, Doug (2017). The Impact of a Professional Development Program on Teachers’ Mathematical Knowledge for Teaching, Instruction, and Student Achievement. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 10(2), 379-407.
- Jacob, Robin T.; Armstrong, Catherine; Bowden, A. B. and Pan, Yilin (2016). Leveraging Volunteers: An Experimental Evaluation of a Tutoring Program for Struggling Readers. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 9, 67-92.
- Jacob, Robin T.; Somers, Marie-Andree; Zhu, Pei and Bloom, Howard (2016). The Validity of the Comparative Interrupted Time Series Design for Evaluating the Effect of School-Level Interventions. Evaluation Review, 40(3), 167-198.
- Miller, Robert J.; Goddard, Roger D.; Kim, Minjung; Jacob, Robin T.; Goddard, Yvonne and Schroeder, Patricia (2016). Can Professional Development Improve School Leadership? Results from a Randomized Control Trial Assessing the Impact of McREL’s Balanced Leadership Program on Principals in Rural Michigan Schools. Educational Administration Quarterly, 52(4), 531-566.
- Jacob, Robin T. and Parkinson, Julia (2015). The Potential for School-Based Interventions that Target Executive Function to Improve Academic Achievement: A Review. Review of Educational Research, 85(4), 512-552.
- Jacob, Robin T.; Goddard, Roger; Kim, Minjung; Miller, Robert and Goddard, Yvonne (2015). Exploring the Causal Impact of the McREL Balanced Leadership Program on Leadership, Principal Efficacy, Instructional Climate, Educator Turnover, and Student Achievement. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 37(3), 314-332.
- Jones, Stephanie M.; Bailey, Rebecca and Jacob, Robin T. (2014). Social-Emotional Learning is Essential to Classroom Management. Phi Delta Kappan, 96(2), 19-24.
- Jacob, Robin T.; Goddard, Roger D. and Kim, Eun S. (2014). Assessing the use of Aggregate Data in the Evaluation of School-Based Interventions: Implications for Evaluation Research and State Policy regarding Public-use Data. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis, 36(1), 44-66.
- Hill, Heather C.; Beisiegel, Mary and Jacob, Robin T. (2013). Professional Development Research: Consensus, Crossroads, and Challenges. Educational Researcher, 42(9), 476-487.
- Zhu, Pei; Jacob, Robin T.; Bloom, Howard and Xu, Zeyu (2012). Designing and Analyzing Studies that Randomize Schools to Estimate Intervention Effects on Student Academic Outcomes without Classroom-Level Information. Educational Evaluation & Policy Analysis, 34(1), 45-68.
- Jacob, Robin T. (2011). An Experiment to Test the Feasibility and Quality of a Web-Based Questionnaire of Teachers. Evaluation Review, 35(1), 40-70.
- Jacob, Robin T.; Zhu, P. and Bloom, H. (2010). New Empirical Evidence for the Design of Group Randomized Trials in Education. Journal of Research on Educational Effectiveness, 3(2), 157-198.
- Rowan, Brian; Jacob, Robin T. and Corentti, R. (2009). . 13. In Yohalem,Nicole; Granger,Robert C. and Pittman,Karen J. (Ed.), Defining and Measuring Quality in Youth Programs and Classrooms. Wiley:San Francisco, Calif.