Research Investigator, Survey Research Center, Institute for Social Research
Dr. Sarah E. Patterson is a Demographer and Sociologist. Currently, she is a Research Investigator at the Survey Research Center and a Postdoctoral Affiliate at the Population Studies Center, both at the University of Michigan. She is working on projects related to families, aging, and caregiving. More broadly, her research addresses whether and how social norms influence attitudes, behaviors, and outcomes related to the family. Her research falls into the following three domains: the demography of aging and the life course; family demography and intergenerational inequality; and, gender inequality at the work/family nexus.
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2022. Cohabiting adult children’s transfers to parents in the United States. Journal of Marriage and Family
- Mengyao Hu, Vicki A Freedman, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Lewis, Nora. 2022. Shared Care Networks Assisting Older Adults: New Insights from the National Health and Aging Trends Study. The Gerontologist
- Jeffrey E. Stokes, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2022. Caregiving and Self-Esteem in Mid and Later Life: Is There Variation by Age, Parental Status, and Gender?. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development
- Vicki A Freedman, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Jennifer C. Cornman, Jennifer L. Wolff. 2022. A day in the life of caregivers to older adults with and without dementia: Comparisons of care time and emotional health. Alzheimer's & Dementia 18(9):1650-1661.
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Tate, Ashley M, Hu, Yi-Ling, Wang, Jue Jessie, Schoeni, Robert F, Hwajung Choi. 2022. The Social Cost of Providing Care to Older Adults with and without Dementia. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Schoeni, Bob, Vicki A Freedman, Seltzer, Judith A. 2021. Care Received and Unmet Care Needs Among Older Parents in Biological and Stepfamilies. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B
- Yellow Horse, Aggie J, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2021. Greater Inclusion of Asian Americans in Aging Research on Family Caregiving for Better Understanding of Racial Health Inequities. The Gerontologist
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Ashton M. Verdery, Jonathan Daw. 2020. Linked Lives and Childhood Experience of Family Death on Educational Attainment. Socius
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Rachel Margolis, Ashton M. Verdery. 2020. Family embeddedness and older adult mortality in the United States. Population Studies 74(3):415-435.
- Jeffrey E. Stokes, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2020. Intergenerational Relationships, Family Caregiving Policy, and COVID-19 in the United States. Journal of Aging & Social Policy 32(4-5):416-424.
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2020. Educational Attainment Differences in Attitudes toward Provisions of IADL Care for Older Adults in the U.S.. Journal of Aging & Social Policy
- Jonathan Daw, Ashton M. Verdery, Sarah Elizabeth Patterson. 2019. Beyond household walls: the spatial structure of American extended kinship networks. Mathematical Population Studies 26(4):208-237.
- Sarah Elizabeth Patterson, Rachel Margolis. 2019. The Demography of Multigenerational Caregiving: A Critical Aspect of the Gendered Life Course. Socius